Authors: Allison Sylte

Fort Collins police responded to a call at 10:15 p.m. Saturday night regarding a 19-year-old female who was found unconscious and not breathing by her roommates at her Ram’s Village apartment on 1613 W. Plum St.

The woman has been identified by the Larimer County Coroners Office as Sascha Franzel, a sophomore biology major from Honolulu.

Sascha’s parents, David and Sonia Franzel, who flew to Ft. Collins after the news, spoke of how “struck and overwhelmed” they were by the community’s outpouring of support after the loss of their only child.

“She was so full of life,” Sonia said Monday evening during a gathering at the Chabad Jewish Center of Northern Colorado. “She loved her friends and couldn’t wait to be back at CSU (after traveling during the summer).”

Sascha’s roommates were providing CPR when police and ambulance personnel arrived, and she was then transported to Poudre Valley Hospital where she was pronounced dead. There was no apparent foul play, according to a news release.

Fort Collins detectives confirmed there was evidence that she consumed alcohol on Saturday evening, but it is not yet known if it played a role in her death.

An autopsy and toxicology report will be performed later this week.
According to an e-mail from Associated Students of CSU President Eric Berlinberg, there is a vigil scheduled for Monday at 8:30 p.m. on the CSU Oval in Franzel’s honor.

“Even with a campus as large as CSU, when we lose one of our classmates and colleagues, it is quite a tragedy,” Berlinberg said in an e-mail. “Sascha was loved by many, and it is sad to see her leave us. On behalf of the student body at CSU, we extend our condolences to her family and friends for their loss.”

Sascha’s father mentioned her passion for community service and helping others through volunteering at various charities like the Special Olympics and Relay for Life.

“We’re devastated,” David said. “There’s no rhyme or reason to this.”

Stayed tuned to the Collegian and Collegian.com for more updates.
News Editor Erin Udell contributed to this report.

_Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte can be reached at news@collegian.com.
_