CSU Orange Crush

Authors: Kevin Lytle

It doesn’t reason that a Crenshaw Heights, Calif. native would circle Ag Day on his calendar every year.

But, for whatever reason, when the CSU football team dons the orange “Aggie” jerseys running back Raymond Carter experiences his best days as a Ram.

Last season on Ag Day Carter had a career afternoon. He racked up 105 rush yards and 120 receiving yards and three total touchdowns.

On Saturday against Northern Colorado, Carter set the tone early.

On CSU’s first play from scrimmage Carter burst down the right sideline for a 31-yard gain to give the Rams the ball at the two-yardline.

CSU scored on the very next play and never looked back.

“Coach Fairchild is always talking about starting fast,” Carter said. “The O-line did great opening up the holes. I was patient enough to see the hole and I hit it hard.”

Carter was the leader of a potent three-headed running attack that gashed the UNC defense all day.

Sophomore Chris Nwoke took the lead on the second drive. He rushed for 44 yards on the drive, ending it with a one-yard touchdown run.
Nwoke finished the game with 53 yards on only nine carries.

Carter then used the second quarter to fully put his mark on the game and finish UNC off by halftime.

He scored two touchdowns in the second quarter. The second of which came on fourth and goal with two seconds left on the clock.

Carter tried to leap over the goal line, but he was knocked backwards. As he stumbled, hemanaged to lunge forward for a touchdown and a 28-0 lead at the break.

Derek Good got his first carries of the season, and in limited action he was, well, good.

He racked up 81 yards on only nine carries. The three backs combined for 234 yards on 36 carries.

“Teams don’t know what to get,” Nwoke said about the three-pronged attack. “We’re hitting them with two, three different elements. It’s hard for a defense to stop that. I’m proud of the way all three of us ran.”

The production of the running game comes as a welcome change from a week ago.

CSU gained only 92 yards on the ground against New Mexico because the backs hit the line of scrimmage too early, not allowing the play to develop.

This week Fairchild saw some growth in the run game.

“For the most part we were hitting it in there good, getting on the right guys,” Fairchild said. “I’m sure when we look at the tape there will be some flaws, but it was better than last week.”
Nwoke was more effusive in his praise for the run game, in particular the offensive line.

“We just took advantage of the big holes the offensive linemen were giving. They did a hell of a job. I’m proud of our offensive line and I hope we keep doing it.”

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.