Community Briefs 9/08/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Football class offered for international students

A new class, being offered to CSU international students on Friday and Saturday, will go over the complexities of American football.

“Football 101” will help students learn more about the rules and traditions of the sport from 4 to 6 p.m. on both days in CSU International House Lobby at 1400 W. Elizabeth St.

“It’s great because most of the people who have come here have heard about American football and know that it’s really big here, but they don’t know the rules and all the small things about the game,” said Marko Denic, a graduate student from Serbia, in a Today@Colostate article.

In addition to learning rules and regulations, students will also receive a t-shirt and learn the words to the CSU Fight Song.

Marbling exhibit to open at UCA

Using “floating colors,” and different kinds of textiles and papers, guest artist and curator Peggy Skycraft has been marbling for the past 40 years. Her work is set to be featured at the University Center of the Arts starting Friday and ending in late January.

According to the event’s listing on the CSU website, the method of marbling dates back to 10th century China and Japan.

The exhibit, which opens Friday at 5 p.m. will feature creations on fabric and paper products.
It will be free and open to the public.

Detective fiction writer coming to Fort Collins

Best-selling author Laura Lippman is speaking at the Hilton Hotel on 425 W. Prospect Road tonight at 8 p.m. The event is free, and doors will open at 6:30 p.m.

Lippman is known for her Tess Monaghan series, which have won every major mystery prize, including the Edgar, Shamus, Agatha, Anthony and Nero Wolfe awards. Another one of her novels, “In a Strange City,” was named a New York Times Notable Book of the Year.

At tonight’s program, she will discuss her most recent book, “The Most Dangerous Thing,” which was released Aug. 17 of this year, and a book signing will follow.

Third annual CSU Media festival

The CSU media festival, which began yesterday, continues tomorrow from 8 a.m. to late in the evening.

The keynote session tomorrow will feature Elizabeth “Liz” Spayd, the managing editor of the Washington Post. She will discuss the media revolution on newsgathering, politics and what consumers read from 1 to 2 p.m. in room 131 of the Behavioral Sciences Building.

The rest of the events will be held in the Lory Student Center. Other guest speakers include Michael Madrid, the senior photo editor of USA Today; Willy Roberts, a staff member for “Weeds” and “Parks and Recreation;” and many more.

— Collegian Staff Report