Nothin' like home cookin'

Authors: Christopher Boan

After going 3-1 on the road to start the season, the Rams head home to face their third ranked team in a week.

Things won’t be much easier for the Rams, who will probably be considered an underdog against the University of Nebraska. This assumption, however, doesn’t seem to bother the team too much.

“The name on the front of the jersey really doesn’t mean anything,” junior Brieon Paige said. “We’re going to play with nothing to lose, and will definitely be up to the challenge.”

The challenge the Rams face is that Nebraska is ranked fifth in the nation, coming off a 29-3 campaign in 2010. The team has also won three National Championships in the past 15 years.

“Obviously Nebraska is a great team,” said senior Katelyn Steffan. “But to say that we’re afraid to face them isn’t true, we look forward to the contest for sure.”

Nebraska will feature a key contributor, sophomore Megan Broekhaus, who is from Colorado Springs. Despite being an underclassman, Broekhaus leads the team in blocks (13), and kills (28).

“I’m definitely excited to get back to Colorado,” Broekhaus said. “To be able to play in front of my friends and family will definitely be special.”

Nebraska is well aware of the tradition that surrounds Rams volleyball, and expects a challenge on the road.

“Colorado State is a great program,” Broekhaus added. “We know they’ll put up a fight, and we look forward to it, as they’ll force us to play at our best.”

The Rams hope to pack Moby Arena for the contest, and expect the game to have some NCAA Tournament buzz.

“This game definitely has a kind of championship game feeling,” Paige said. “I think that these tough matches will definitely get us ready for conference play, and possibly the tournament down the road.”

The Rams have learned from their loss on Monday against Oklahoma. Some have even said the loss might have actually been somewhat beneficial, as it focused the team’s visions squarely on Nebraska. “After winning the first three games like we did, there was definitely a sense of achievement,” Steffan said. “The loss definitely showed us our flaws, and now we know what we need to work on to succeed against quality opponents down the road.”

Doors for the game will open at 6 tonight, but the team advises fans to show up early, as they are expecting a near sell-out crowd.

The game will also be a “white out” so spectators are encouraged to wear white clothing to enhance the home-court experience.

Volleyball Beat Reporter Chris Boan can be reached at sports@collegian.com.