Authors: Jason Pohl

Mashed-up hard drives, digital projectors and a whole lot of free swag were just some of the things to be found in the Lory Student Center’s Main Ballroom Thursday afternoon at the annual Green Market Vendor Fair.

Now in its fourth year, the event gathered more than 30 vendors to explain what they sell, how things have changed and what may be coming in the future.

“This is an important step in showing we are a green university,” said Farrah Bustamante, the event coordinator and strategic sourcing specialist for the university. Bustamante oversees portions of the university’s spending and looks for responsible purchases that are the “best overall value for the university.”

Bustamante said the vendor fair is one way to show how companies around the area pursue environmentally sustainable and efficient products and how the university is impacted.

“It is important to practice what we preach,” Bustamante said.

The CSU Surplus Property Store was one of the groups in attendance. The often forgotten store is near the book storage facility on the CSU main campus, and it sells a variety of recycled and used property that has been accumulated from the university community.

Recently, Surplus Property began allowing anyone within the CSU community to dispose of their personal electronics, including cell phones and computers.

“Anything that plugs in, we can take,” said Jake Drenth, the manager of Surplus Property.

They also sell a variety of things including recycled bikes, furniture and computer components. For more information about their inexpensive, recycled items, the group encourages people to visit them in person or online at cr.colostate.edu.

Another group in attendance sells something everyone on campus is familiar with – signs.

Sign Language is a Denver-based printing company that prides itself on a more environmentally friendly standard while still offering a quality product. The group has produced many of the signs at Hughes Stadium with an altered production process lacking many harmful adhesives and vinyl.

“If you are interested in the environment, you need to ask the questions,” said Jerry Bow, an account executive with Sign Language, referring to how products or all sorts are made. “We want to minimize environmental impact while mimicking a traditional look.”

Community members and students were in attendance. Some were there to talk business and strike deals for their own benefit.

Others, like Perez Ansah-Mensah, a senior finance major, were simply there for the free food and raffle prizes, but stayed to learn just a little bit more.

“I was just walking by and saw the free stuff,” Ansah-Mensah said. “But it really is good to know where so much of this stuff that is everywhere comes from. It’s a good opportunity to be educated.”

Senior Reporter Jason Pohl can be reached at news@collegian.com.