Students without a voice

Authors: Allison Knaus

The Associated Students of Colorado State University (ASCSU) is at an all-time low for Senate board members for the fall 2011 semester, leaving some university colleges without representation.

This semester’s board is down to just 14 members with roughly 25 empty spots from various colleges.

The Senate, composed of representatives from all eight colleges, open option students and graduate students are the student voice of CSU, explained Rachel Roberson, the ASCSU Vice President.
Recruitment is in full swing for new Senate members to represent individual colleges.

“Within the next few weeks, we really want to make sure we are getting the word out that these positions are available and how crucial they are,” said Danielle McConnell, the ASCSU press secretary and recruitment officer.

“One representative is providing a voice for over 700 students, so their input is really important,” Roberson said.

The college councils are able to pass legislation on issues affecting students at CSU, the state and even at a federal level, explained Eric Berlinberg, the ASCSU President.

“They really do matter and we want students to know that they can make an impact on decisions made,” he said.

But with a lower than average number of members, not all colleges are being represented and heard.
“We aren’t representing every college on campus and therefore we aren’t representing every voice that needs to be heard,” Berlinberg said.

This semester, Berlinberg said he’s looking to bring more information to the Senate board, giving the college councils an opportunity to have an input in decision making.

“We’re aiming to involve the college councils in nearly everything we do,” he said.

Along with empty senate positions, ASCSU is also looking to fill the gallery where students and community members can come to provide input and ask questions.

“Students do have a say in legislation because changes made will affect them,” Roberson said. “We’re really hoping numbers will have a turn around quickly.”

Senate meetings run every Wednesday night at 6:30 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Senate Chambers and are open to the public.

If you’re interested in becoming a Senate member or getting involved with ASCSU visit www.ascsu.colostate.edu.

_ASCSU Beat Reporter Allison Knaus can be reached at news@collegian.com. _