Authors: Kevin Lytle

In 10 seconds of conversation with Ron Coleman, it’s easy to see why he was hired by Tim Miles to join CSU basketball.

Coleman exudes a sense of energy and excitement that he will bring to the Rams as their new recruiting coordinator. The official announcement of his hiring came Tuesday.

“We just hit it off,” Coleman said of meeting Miles. “I fell in love with coach Miles. I think coach Miles fell in love with what I’ve been doing on the grassroots part and the relationships I have built.”

What Coleman brings is a connection to the Chicago talent-pool, which has produced such stars as Derrick Rose and Dwayne Wade. Since 2005 Coleman has been the head coach of one of Chicago’s top AAU programs, the Mac Irvin Fire.

“I think Ron gives us an advantage in the Illinois recruiting area,” Miles said. “It’s a place with basketball prospects, and he’s in the middle of the best players. He knows them, he’s worked out guys, he’s coached guys that are going to go on and play college basketball at a high level and that’s going to help us move our program forward.”

Coleman replaces DeMarlo Slocum as recruiting coordinator after Slocum took a similar job at the University of Utah in May.

In addition to giving CSU a foothold in Chicago-area recruiting, Miles feels that Coleman brings with him an innate ability to connect with players.

Coleman’s basketball history dating back to his days as a player allows him to relate to current players because he went down the same path they are travelling, said Miles.

Coleman played collegiately at Weber State University and Lamar University.

His college career was followed by a seven-year professional playing career that saw him play with the Houston Rockets and the Grand Rapids Hoops of the Continental Basketball Association.

Coleman also played overseas in Finland and Latvia before returning to the U.S.

In addition to the hiring of Coleman, Miles also announced on Tuesday that the Rams video coordinator Jayden Olsen has been promoted to the director of basketball operations in 2011-12.
Olsen takes over for Randy Baruth, who took a similar post with Utah in May.

According to the schedule released Wednesday by Duke basketball, the Rams will travel to Cameron Indoor Stadium to take on the Blue Devils during the 2011-12 season.

The schedule lists Colorado State as an opponent on Wednesday Dec. 7 at 7 p.m.

Miles didn’t want to comment on any possible opponents until CSU officially released its schedule, which could happen as soon as Thursday.

The game will be broadcast live on ESPNU.

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

About Coleman

Who: Ron Coleman

What: Recruiting coordinator for men’s basketball

Last job: Coach at top Chicago AAU team

Qualifications: Seven years as a pro. Produced four McDonald’s All-Americans and four Illinois Player’s of the Year while coaching