Community briefs 8/24/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

CSU prof arrested, released

An assistant agriculture professor at CSU was briefly jailed following contempt charges in a child-custody dispute, according to a recent Westword report.

Catherine Keske, 40, was ordered, on Aug. 11, to serve 90 days in jail for interfering with one of her son’s ability to communicate with his father, Keske’s ex-husband Jeffrey Handley.

Keske, who only spent four days in jail after paying $1,700 to Handley, told Westword, she was confused by her arrest and said she in fact tried to encourage her son to communicate with his father. She also said she has records to prove her son called Handley at least once a week.

This development comes as an addition to the pair’s custody battle over their two sons.

New tuition calculator offered

In light of tuition changes this semester, CSU students now have the option to calculate their potential costs through an online tuition and fees calculator.

According to Today @ Colorado State, the new tool allows for students to calculate their estimated tuition for different credit loads and academic programs. It also explains charges made to student tuition bills.

The online device will allow for a better understanding of differential tuition rates, which are based on high cost, high demand and how much return graduated students get from particular programs.

Colorado State University has designed a new tuition and fees calculator to help students, prospective students, and families to better plan and budget for their CSU education.

The calculator is viewable online at tuition.colostate.edu.

CSU announces basketball coaching addition

Ron Coleman, a former basketball player at Weber State University and Lamar University, is officially the newest addition to the CSU men’s basketball coaching staff.

Coleman comes to CSU from Chicago, where he served as a top prep and AAU basketball coach, said a report on the university’s official athletics page.

Head Coach Tim Miles made the announcement on Tuesday, saying, “I feel like we hit a home run with Ron joining CSU basketball.”

Coleman will take on the duties of DeMarlo Slocum, the Rams’ former recruiting coordinator who left CSU for a position at University of Utah in May.

After earning his bachelor’s degree in applied arts and science from Lamar University in 1997, Coleman began his professional basketball career by playing for the Houston Rockets and the Grand Rapids Hoops of the Continental Basketball Association.

He has also seen action overseas, playing for teams in Finland and Latvia before returning to Chicago to begin a coaching career.

— Collegian Staff Report