Community Briefs 08/03/2011

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Fort Collins named a ‘Best Buy’

Even in a time of tuition increases, one college review guide says that CSU is actually worth the money.
The Fiske Guide to Colleges has rated CSU a “Best Buy,” meaning the school is moderately priced and has a four- or five-star academic rating.

A “Best Buy” school must have three qualities: high academic ratings, inexpensive or moderate price and quality student life on campus.

CSU is one of only 24 public institutions that received this distinction for 2012.

For more than 25 years the guide has given its own independent perspective on colleges and universities in the United States, Canada and Great Britain.

Atmospheric Science’s new head

Jeffrey Collett has been named the new head of CSU’s Department of Atmospheric Science.

Collett, who has been a professor for about 17 years, is the new head of one of the top programs in its field in the nation. He leads a program that enrolls about 85 master’s and doctoral students each year and employs 16 faculty and about 60 research staffers.

His research, which by the National Science Foudation and the National Park Service, has supported focuses on atmospheric chemistry and air quality with an emphasis on cloud processing of pollutants. His research group is active worldwide.

Rams announce new defensive end

Announced Tuesday, a new defensive end has signed on to join this year’s Rams’ football team.

Coach Steve Fairchild said Brent Williams, a 6-foot-4, 210-pound recruit, will have four seasons of eligibility and plans to join the Rams on Thursday at training camp.

Originally from Woodland Hills, Calif., Williams had 29 sacks in 25 games during his last two years at Taft High School. He was also a first-team, all-West Valley League pick, as well as a second-team, all-city pick in his junior year.
As a senior, he was a second-team all-area team pick.

Williams will join three other players added this summer to the 2011 roster: Shaquil Barrett (Nebraska-Omaha), Cordarius Golston (Kilgore College/Arizona) and A.J. Frieler (Greeley West/Air Force).

New CSU PR director announced

In an announcement released Tuesday, CSU officials named Kyle Henley as their director of Denver public relations.

Before working for CSU, Henley was the corporate communications manager for CoBank in the Denver Tech Center. He also worked for a Denver advertising agency after years as a journalist.

In his new role at CSU, Henley will lead the university’s media relations, marketing and community relations throughout Denver. He will also try to continue building awareness and support of CSU’s academic programs and research endeavors.

“Kyle is a talented communicator with a proven track record of success in the Denver market and beyond,” said Tom Milligan, the university’s vice president for External Relations, in the release. “CSU is committed to demonstrating the value of our cutting-edge research and top-quality academic programs to the state of Colorado, and Kyle’s experience will help the university showcase our success to important stakeholders in the state’s largest metro area.”