Jul 262011

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

*‘The Onion’ rolls on to campus
*
The Aug. 3 edition of the Collegian will look different than it ever has in the past. For the first time the satirical newspaper, “The Onion,” will be packaged inside of CSU’s student newspaper and every Wednesday following.

“The Onion” is brought to the university through a partnership with the Associated Students of CSU and the Rocky Mountain Student Media Corporation.

Bringing the satirical paper to CSU is a student voted initiative, meaning that student fees are paying for it. It was also a campaign promise of ASCSU President Eric Berlinberg and Vice President Rachel Robertson.

RMSMC will receive revenue through advertisements. “The Onion” maintains exclusive rights over all of its content and RMSMC and ASCSU will take on business management responsibilities, including advertisement sales, printing and distribution.

“The Onion” is printed in 14 markets including New York, Chicago, Washington D.C., Denver and Boulder. It also has fans through radio, broadcast, online and mobile outlets.

Former CSU fullback signs with Texans

Minutes after the NFL lockout was lifted Tuesday, Zac Paua, a former CSU student and four-year starter for the Rams, signed a free-agent contract with the Houston Texans.

Th 6-foot-1, 240-pound Pauga will now become the sixth Ram to join the Houston’s roster, including Jesse Nading, Mike Brisiel, Cole Pemberton, Shelley Smith and Joel Dreessen.

As reported in the Coloradoan, Pauga said, “the Texans called me as soon as possible, and I went with them. I told Matt (Striegel), my agent, I don’t need to hear any more offers, I’m good with Houston.”

In his last season at CSU, Pauga, originally from Lakewood, caught 33 passes for 308 yards and one touchdown while also running 53 yards on 12 carries.
*
CSU Equine Science program heads to Europe*

The CSU Equine Science program is hosting horsemanship camps in Europe to foster greater understanding of American horse culture.

Five of some of the program’s top students are touring Germany, Austria and the Netherlands in three weeks and lecturing on subjects like horse physiology, behavior, industry standards, and are also giving riding lessons.

Approximately 75 participants, ages 10-15, are attending the camps from July 22 to Aug. 7.
Alex Eason, a 2011 Equine Sciences graduate, told “The Coloradoan” she expects language barriers, but is hopeful the camps will be an opportunity to “be more of an exchange of ideas, versus ‘This is the way we do it.’”

Translators are assisting the students during riding lessons, according to the CSU Equine Science program blog.

“It’s been an adventure thus far and it may be possible that we’ve learned more from (our campers) than we have taught so far,” they write.

CSU was the first program in the nation to offer a four-year degree in equine sciences, which currently has approximately 400 members. A grant from the American Quarter Horse Association is covering their trip’s expenses.

Requests for comment from the students were not returned.