Jul 192011

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Fort Collins man charged with attempted first degree murder

Travis Forbes, the Fort Collins man accused of attacking a woman before setting her townhome on fire, is facing 12 charges filed against him Tuesday morning by prosecutors.

Forbes has been charged with: attempted first-degree murder after deliberation, attempted first-degree murder with extreme indifference, three counts of sexual assault, one other count of assault, once count of arson, one of motor vehicle theft and three counts of committing a violent crime.

Currently in custody at the Larimer County Jail, Forbes is held on a $350,000 cash-only bond and will be due back in court on Aug. 19.

CSU Global Campus receives accreditation

As of Tuesday, CSU’s Global Campus is now accredited with the Higher Learning Commission of the Central Association of College and Schools.

Since 2008, CSU-Global has been offering online university degree programs and classes to enroll in every four weeks.

The public online university specializes in bachelor’s completion, graduate degree programs and certificates of completion, offering students a “convenient, flexible 100 percent online environment.”

By receiving the accreditation, CSU-Global officially meets the Commission’s criteria for accreditation as evaluated through a peer review process.

Flood Awareness Week Begins

Due to monsoonal moisture that usually occurs during the last two weeks of July and first two weeks of August, Fort Collins Utilities has sponsored Flood Awareness Week, a stretch from July 17 to 23 aimed at educating the community on reducing personal and environmental losses caused by floods.

As for future run-off issues, the Poudre River bike trail is planned as an overflow area during flood season, keeping waterways healthy and preserving wildlife habitat in the occasion of water run-off.

For information on Flood Awareness Week, go to the Fort Collins city website at fcgov.com.

CSU’s music department and Opera Fort Collins present ‘The Music Man’

The Music Man is marching into CSU’s University Center for the Arts this weekend.

On July 22 at 7:30 p.m. the CSU music department and the Opera of Fort Collins present a concert version of the Broadway hit, “The Music Man.”

The performance is directed by students from the Summer Master of Music in Education in Conducting program.

In recent years the musical performance has become a Fort Collins Tradition.
“The Music Man” won a Tony Award for Best Musical in 1958 and includes the songs: “Seventy-Six Trombones,” “Ya Got Trouble” and “Till There Was You.”

Admission for the performance is $5.

Local bands raise money for fire victims

On July 24 from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Mishawaka Amphitheatre Crystal Fire victims will be healed with music.

The NoCo Rebuilding Network is hosting a fundraising concert featuring five local bands. The bands include Common Anomaly, Lindsey O’Brien Band, Constitution, Tuatha and Cary Morin of the Atoll.

The NoCo Rebuilding Network has been formed to raise funds, resources and volunteers to assist in rebuilding efforts after the Crystal Fire.

The fire burned 3,000 acres and destroyed 13 homes.

Tickets for the show are $20 and are available at themishawaka.com.