Jul 192011

Authors: Erin Udell

After 14 years of trivia nights and pizza bars, Woody’s Woodfired Pizza, a long-time CSU staple, closed its doors this summer to make room for possible student housing.

The restaurant, located at 518 W. Laurel St., closed June 25 and will be demolished to clear the single-acre lot for Pura Vida Place, a 52-unit apartment complex slated to open in Fall 2012.

Catamount Properties Ltd. of Arvada purchased the lot to build Pura Vida, something that Jim Dean, the general manager of Woody’s Arvada location, said “just made sense.”

But, for some students, seeing Woody’s go is an unwelcomed change.

“I was kind of shocked,” said Lynn Urbina, a senior health and exercise science major who just recently learned of the closure.

“I would go in there every once in a while for their pizza bar and beer,” Urbina added. “But I guess since it’s making room for housing, which we need, it’ll be okay.”

According to the Coloradoan, Pura Vida, which was chosen because of its proximity to the CSU campus, will have one, two and three bedroom units.

Quoted in that same article, Chuck Bailey of Catamount Properties said “It’s the most outstanding site for (student housing) because it’s basically a block or block-and-a-thalf to the Lory Student Center and rec center; within walking distance to downtown and the (bus) transfer station at Lory.”

While the rust-red building just north of campus may soon be gone and owners aren’t currently looking at opening another in town, Woody’s may be back in the future, Dean said.

“We had a nice run when we were up there,” Dean said of the Fort Collins location. “I don’t know if our owners are considering reopening but anything’s possible in the future.”

News Editor Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.