Community Briefs for 7/6

Jul 052011

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Shields closure started Tuesday

As part of a long line of summer construction closures, Fort Collins announced Shields Street — from Harmony Road through Horsetooth Road — will be the next to experience repairs.

The repairs, which will be done through the Fort Collins Street Maintenance Program, started Tuesday and will include asphalt milling, patching and paving.

Crews will work on weekdays between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., leaving only one lane of travel in each direction. Residential driveways will also be impacted for short periods of time throughout the repairs.

For more information about the closure visit www.fcgov.com/streets.

Police investigate fire, assault

On July 5 Poudre Emergency Communications Center received a 9-1-1 call reporting a house fire at 5:33 a.m. When paramedics arrived on scene the victim, 30-year-old Lydia Tillman had jumped from her 2nd story apartment and had appeared to have sustained injuries from the fire and possible sexual assault, a press release said.

Detectives have been unable to speak with the victim due to the extent of her injuries. The woman was transported to the Medical Center of the Rockies in critical condition. She was then transported to University Hospital in Denver for treatment.

The press release said police are working to re-trace the victim’s activities yesterday to learn about her and who is responsible for the crime. Anyone with information on Tillman’s activities is urged to call Detective Jaclyn Shaklee at 970-221-6675 or Crime Stoppers of Larimer County at 970-221-6868.

Wings of Freedom Tour comes to Colorado

Historic World War II Bombers will be on display July 8-10 as part of a nationwide tour paying tribute to the service members who built, maintained, flew and protected them.

The 20-year-old tour visits almost 110 cities in more than 35 states throughout the year, making a stop at the Fort Collins-Loveland Municipal Airport, which has hosted the event for the past five years.

Local veterans as well as aviation enthusiasts are highly encouraged to visit the tour, being able to share experiences and see planes that were flown more than 60 years ago.

Dates and times:
Friday, July 8: 2 – 5 p.m.
Saturday, July 9: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sunday, July 10: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Up-close viewing and tours of planes cost $12 for adults and $6 for children under the age of 12.

For more information and prices visit http://40sflyin.com/.

Shaffer announces run to unseat Gardner

Brandon Shaffer announced July 4 that he will run for Congress against current Congressmen Cory Gardner in the 2012 elections.

Shaffer has served in the State Senate since 2005 and was chosen by his peers to serve as one of the youngest Senate Presidents in Colorado history.

“I’m tired of watching the Washington D.C. game that’s focused on chalking up political points instead of solving problems,” Shaffer said in a press release. “We do things differently here in the West. We take an independent approach that is rooted in common sense. I call it ‘Colorado Solutions’, and I want to bring that tradition to the United States Congress.”

Shaffer is a third-generation Coloradan and former Naval officer who served two deployments to the Persian Gulf. He currently lives with his wife and two children in Longmont.