Jun 282011

Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

On Monday, CSU, in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs, announced that it would be providing free tuition, fees, housing and books to veterans and their children.

We commend the university for making an effort to support our troops. After all, if you make the effort to fight for our country, we probably owe it to you to give you an education when you get back, particularly as a state-run school.

This program, along with CSU’s Commitment to Colorado, which offers free tuition to low-income students, will help make CSU more diverse and ease the burden of the recession for those in need.

But this raises the question: what about the rest of us?

Less than a week before this announcement, the Board of Governors approved a 20 percent tuition hike for CSU’s in-state students, a pretty big increase that no doubt makes getting a CSU education a little bit harder for just about everyone.

Giving free tuition to veterans is noble, but it’s also a fairly quick and PR-friendly temporary solution to a far bigger problem: Colorado’s system for funding higher education is broken, college is getting more expensive and CSU has no idea what to do about it.

A university can’t solve this problem simply by gaining students whose demographics make it appear that the university is more accessible. The university has to actually be more accessible, which the 20 percent tuition hikes show is not the case.

So, while we admire the university for taking initiative and solving one problem (helping our veterans), we implore them to put more effort into the far bigger one.