Community Briefs 06/29/11

Jun 282011

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

CSU enters program to provide full tuition, fees, housing, book stipends to vets

CSU is partnering with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program to offer full tuition, fees and housing stipends to U.S. military veterans and their children, the university announced Monday.

The Yellow Ribbon at CSU is part of the Post 9-11 GI bill, which pays public, in-state tuition for returning veterans. These eligible veterans can also transfer these benefits to their children.

The program benefits include:

• 100 percent of undergraduate resident or non-resident tuition,
  • 100 percent of university fees,
  • About $4,300 per semester for housing and
  • $1,000 per year for books.

In order to be eligible to receive these benefits the applicant must have:Served an aggregate period of active duty after Sept. 10, 2001 of at least 36 months, been honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001 or be a Dependent of veterans eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the GI Bill based on a veteran’s service.

The university said that it will not place a cap on the number of veterans it will accept in the program.

“Our community, state and nation owe all those who have served in the military a great deal of gratitude and appreciation. We at CSU are pleased to be able to offer these brave men and women, and their families, this opportunity to earn a degree at one of the nation’s top public research universities,” said CSU President Tony Frank in a press release. “We are committed to ensuring CSU remains a top military friendly university.”

The press release said that CSU has about 700 veterans both graduate and undergraduate currently enrolled, and the number has increased each semester by about 10 percent.

Fort Collins ranked as leading bike commuting city

The Atlantic has ranked Fort Collins as the number two bike-commuting city in America with a 5.20 percent of commuters biking to work.

The article noted that Fort Collins has an average household income of $47,843 and has 280 miles of on and off street trails.

“City officials are committed to providing a high quality of life for citizens, businesses and visitors,” said a press release from the City of Fort Collins. “Bicycling resources such as a dedicated bicycle coordinator, cooperative bicycle organizations and newly installed bike boxes, are a big part of that goal.”

CSU researcher and roommate killed in weekend crash

Ines Da Silva, a researcher in the College of Veterinary Medicine, and James “Kyle” Doyle, a Poudre High School debate coach, died early Friday morning when Da Silva’s Toyota pickup truck drifted into a median in North Platte, Neb., causing her to overcorrect and roll the car into the path of a west-bound semi truck.

Da Silva, a CSU graduate, had worked at the university for three years. And Doyle, her roommate, was a long-time Fort Collins resident, graduated from Poudre High School in 2003.

The two were en route to a Doyle family function in Chicago before the crash occurred. They were both pronounced dead at the scene.

When Ines Da Silva left work Thursday afternoon at the CSU lab she has worked in for about three years, it was for a quick weekend getaway with her roommate, James “Kyle” Doyle.

Running for Balance 5k hits the Oval

The Society of Global Health Researchers in Action (SOGHR), in partnership with local businesses, has organized a 5k run/walk for 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, benefiting the Project Self Sufficiency Mental Health Fund.

SOGHR is aimed at promoting research on projects that “improve our understanding and stewardship of global health.” To become a sponsor, donor or research partner visit http://www.SOGHR.org. To register for the run/walk, visit the event’s Facebook page, “Running for Balance 5k” for more information.