Community Briefs 06/15/2011

Jun 142011

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Trail closures and updates

With recent flooding in low-lying areas, Fort Collins trails have been experiencing closures throughout early. As of June 8, barricades were put in place to mark Poudre Trail closures along entrances at Lemay Avenue as well as Prospect and Timberline Roads.

Flooding near underpasses at Stuart Street, Center, Stover, Lemay and Riverside Avenues also caused closures along the Spring Creek Trail.

For more information and updates check the city website at www.fcgov.com.

Classical cats

A recent CSU study is looking at the possible connection between classical music and its calming effects on cats.

The analysis looked at using music therapy to lower stress for the pets while in the veterinarian’s office. Initial research on other animals revealed that the music had positive effects on rodents, primates, dogs and birds – producing more periods of rest and quiet time.

Miles gets extension

After the most successful CSU men’s basketball season in 11 years, Coach Tim Miles has been awarded a three-year contract extension and salary raise.

This past season marked Miles’ fourth at CSU as he led the Rams to a 19-13 record and fourth-place in the Mountain West Conference. Miles’ original contract was set to expire in 2013 with an annual salary of $420,000.

With this new agreement, Miles will receive a salary bump to $585,000 a year before his base pay increased to $750,000 annually for the next four years — making him the university’s highest paid coach.

Decades-old ban lifted

On the heels of recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions on commercial free speech, Fort Collins City Council passed an ordinance, effective May 27, which will put an end to the city’s more than 70-year-old ban on door-to-door solicitation. While Council Member Wade Troxell and Mayor pro tem Kelly Ohlson opposed the measure, it ultimately passed with a 5-2 vote.

According to the city website, Fort Collins hopes to regulate door-to-door solicitation to help “protect the safety and privacy of residents.”

Residents will be able to put their names and addresses on a “no solicitation” list through the city, which will be valid for two years.

Jack’s Mannequin to rock the Aggie

The popular alternative rock band Jack’s Mannequin kicked off its summer tour yesterday in California and will perform with Steel Train at the Aggie Theatre Saturday night. The doors open at 6 p.m. and tickets can be purchased for $28 with a $4 surcharge at www.aggietheatre.com.

Jack’s Mannequin will also be co-headlining a nation-wide tour with Guster beginning in August. Learn more at www.jacksmannequin.com.