Authors: Jason Berlinberg

When considering all of the superheroes that Marvel has brought to life in comic books –– which are seemingly all being adapted to the movies this summer –– Thor does not stick out as one of the more revered.

Nevertheless, he still gets a big budget treatment and a very in-your-face invitation to the Avengers party in “Thor,” the first superhero movie of the summer.
Chris Hemsworth stars as the imposing Thor, who gets banished to Earth and is stripped of his powers after causing trouble for this father Odin (Anthony Hopkins) in Asgard.

Upon Thor’s crash landing on Earth, an astrophysicist named Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) and her research team find him in the New Mexico desert. The team tries to help Thor adjust to life on Earth while at the same time trying to find a way for him to return back to Asgard.

“Thor” is an unconventional superhero movie in that the main character’s conflict is largely internal. The story’s contention is eventually projected on a villain, but Thor’s struggle to regain his powers takes to the forefront of the plot.
This establishes an intriguing dynamic as the movie focuses more on the emotional development of the main character, rather than on big budget fight sequences and special effects.

There are still some solid action scenes that show off Thor’s powers, but they don’t appear as much after he is banished from Asgard.
As one of the movies included in the super-hyped “Avengers” project, Thor is forced to share screen time with S.H.I.E.L.D., the secret organization that investigated Tony Stark in the “Iron Man” movies. And similar to “Iron Man 2,” their presence takes away from the crux of the movie’s story.

That being said, “Thor” highlights one of the lesser-known superheroes in a relatively entertaining start to the superhero summer.

Movie reviewer Jason Berlinberg can be reached at verve@collegian.com and can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/jasonberlinberg.