Authors: Courtney Riley

Cooper Anderson and Jennifer Babos, the student government president and vice president, said they feel like the work of their administration has been a success.

“All in all, I think we’ve done a very good job of trying to meet (our campaign promises),” Anderson said. “I think the record speaks for itself.”

He said he believes the most prominent success of his and Babos’ administration has been the student fee of $4 per student passed for the Women and Gender Advocacy Center to create a new position of a male ally in the organization, as well as promote sexual assault education and awareness.

Anderson said while campaigning, he and Babos said they would back a small fee to support an office on campus.

“We made no promises at any time that said we weren’t going to raise fees at all,” he said. “I think over time we’re going to see the good it’s going to do for this campus.”

Babos said it’s important to recognize that students were the driving force behind this issue and it wasn’t just she and Anderson who passed this.

“We did that as students,” she said. “It was all the students that were involved in SFRB (the Student Fee Review Board), ASCSU (the Associated Students of CSU), the students that showed up to speak about it, the task force. It was totally students that pushed this.”

Anderson and Babos also aimed to improve RamRide.

The organization’s fleet of cars was expanded and the wait time for students was decreased by at least 15 minutes, if not more, Anderson said.

The administration also moved 7 a.m. finals to 7:30 a.m. and negotiated with Transfort to make sure bus routes matched up with finals schedules.

“I think it will ease the burden at least a little bit for students with early morning finals,” Anderson said.

In regards to ASCSU’s presence at the state capital working with lawmakers to solve the higher education issue, Anderson said much of the credit belongs to Director of Legislative Affairs Matt Strauch.

Despite the administration’s proclaimed successes, lighting the Aggie “A” was a campaign promise that students did not see fulfilled this year.

But Anderson and Babos have been working with the city planner’s office and CSU administration to make this happen in the future.
The proposal is now to light the “A” during Homecoming Week in the evening for a short amount of time, as well as create a more defined trail around the “A” to prevent people from intruding on the natural area.

“Those details still need to be hammered out, but I’m very encouraged by the discussions we’ve had,” Anderson said. “There are a few people within administration that are willing to work with us to get that done past our term in office.”

Students also did not see the grading system at CSU altered.

“That was one thing we decided early on that we weren’t going to be able to do anything effective about it,” he said. “It was one of the issues I was okay with letting go this year as a means to get to some of the other accomplishments.”

He said although he and Babos pitched this as a platform idea, it was very “wishy-washy” with students. Some students really loved the system, while some hated it, he said.

“It didn’t seem like there was a set solid student opinion on it,” he said.

Entertainment Editor Courtney Riley can be reached at news@collegian.com.

The end of an era

Anderson and Babos’ campaign promises:

• Ending 7 a.m. finals for all colleges,
  • Enhancing sexual assault education,
  • Increasing the number of cars used by RamRide, the organization’s safe ride program,
  • Promoting school spirit by lighting the Aggie “A,”
  • Reevaluating CSU’s grading system, and
  • Working with Colorado lawmakers to solve the higher education funding crisis.
  • President-elect Eric Berlinberg and vice president-elect Rachel Roberson will officially take office June 4.