Authors: Collegian Staff Report

The Collegian is one of two runner-ups in the Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence Awards for 2010, making it one of the top-three college newspapers in America.

“As a staff, we’ve always strived to do the best work we can. This award is a testament to that effort,” Collegian Editor in Chief Madeline Novey said. “This award is for my colleagues: for the countless hours they put in each day, for the sacrifices they made in their day-to-day life to put out a good product 100 percent of the time and for all the bloodshed and bittersweet moments that ultimately make this job a job worth working and a job worth loving.” 

In the category of Best All Around Daily Student Newspaper, the Collegian is listed as a National Finalist, along with The Daily Pennsylvanian from the University of Pennsylvania.

The Minnesota Daily of the University of Minnesota is the National Winner. SPJ received more than 4,000 student entries in the print and broadcast categories.

The Collegian won the best daily, four-year newspaper in the SPJ Region 9 Mark of Excellence awards in early April, qualifying it for the national competition. Region 9 includes Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming.

The national competition pitted all of the first-place winners from each of the 12 regions against one another.

The Collegian staff can be reached at news@collegian.com.