Relay rolls in this weekend

Authors: Jason Pohl

Editor’s note: In the article, it was incorrectly stated that the Relay for Life begins on Friday evening when instead it begins on Saturday evening. The Collegian regrets its error.
Hundreds of people will pack the CSU Recreation Center this weekend for reasons far different from bulking up, losing weight
or showing off those springtime tan lines.

The annual Relay for Life charges into town Saturday evening, and with it comes a festive and celebratory atmosphere that will fill the Rec Center with hundreds of individuals ready to walk for a cause –– and have fun in the process.

In an email to the Collegian, Event Chair Kaitlin Simpson said that what makes this event so fun and interesting “is that people of all different beliefs, cultures and ages come together for a common cause.”

This is the fifth year for the event at CSU, and this year more than 650 individuals have gathered more than $48,000 dollars that will benefit cancer research, survivors and their families.

In addition to walking all night, events planned for this year’s relay include costume contests, basketball and volleyball.

“The event should be tons of fun, and hopefully it will help with stress for some students before finals,” Simpson said.

Participants have been raising money for months, and on Saturday night they will continue a tradition that was started by one man 26 years ago –– an overnight walk around a track.

According to the American Cancer Society’s website, the event can last up to 24 hours in some communities, and it is always held overnight because “cancer never sleeps.”

The Relay for Life attracts more than 3.5 million participants each year across more than 5,000 communities, and it is about more than just raising money –– it’s about making a difference.

Those who want to make a difference can still bring in donations to the event, and they can even try to beat out other teams. However, only those participating in the event can attend.

For those who cannot afford to make a donation, Katie Whitbeck, a participant who has raised more than $2,500, said that, “Simply putting your name behind something says ‘I really believe in what you’re doing.’”

Staff writer Jason Pohl can be reached at news@collegian.com.