WikiLeaks and other news organizations obtained files that assessed detainees that were being held at the Guantanamo Bay detention facility.

The information gave citizens a glimpse of who and why the individuals ­–– accused of having various ties to terrorist organizations –– were being held.

The Washington Post reports that a total of 779 detainees were held, 409 were determined to be low-level operatives, 16 are “high-value” detainees and are still being held, 150 were proven innocent and seven men have died inside Guantanamo.

And according to the Washington Post, WikiLeaks also said in a tweet that information might not be accurate because the information provided was from the “perspective of the detainers” and could be one-sided.

Americans should be aware of the inner-workings of Guantanamo and it isn’t any secret that something curious is going on there and that practices can be what most would consider un-American.

At the same time, WikiLeaks should only be used as a tool for journalists and the same ethics should apply with Wikileaks in terms of verifying the credibility of any other source.

It worries us that they may have discredited themselves in the tweet, but we are confident that those news organizations that published the dumped information did fact checking of their own.

Whether the information is classified, relevant, common-knowledge or top-secret, journalists should still be cautious with the Wiki-dumps.