Authors: Anna Baldwin and Eugene Daniels

By Eugene Daniels

Let’s all be honest. Relationships are hard work. It’s like any job you have now. Except no health benefits and you’re sleeping with your boss.

Since relationships are hard, wouldn’t we want to make them easier? By say ,not dating someone who lives far as hell away? I’m talking about a long distance relationship.
Now you guys probably think I’m going to say long distance relationships are for idiots. But alas, you are the idiot because I’m not.

The fact is, and it’s the same with all relationships, you have to work at it. The fact is that the distance makes it harder to communicate and harder to trust them. But if you are all gushing with that “love” thing, you can try and make a long distance relationship work.

I talked to a couple of our schoolmates and those conversations were pretty hilarious. A friend of mine said the only chick he would date long distance was Beyoncé. (Okay just kidding, that was me).

One guy I spoke with said that the only way they work is if both of you are on the same page. I couldn’t agree more. You have to know exactly what you’re getting yourself into.
And let’s say one of you is new at relationships … first, how and why? And secondly, you have to make sure you guys talk everyday. A base has to be built or there will be nothing for you guys to stand on.

Ever try and stand on nothing? Yeah, well trust me when I say it doesn’t work.

And don’t push away the person who should become your best friend. It’s easy not to talk to someone when they’re in a different state but that’s going to send all types of mixed signals that you really just don’t want!

So I say go have your long distance relationship as long as you both are on page four or 12 … but for me, I’ll just wait for Beyoncé.

By Anna Baldwin

Eugene is right – relationships are hard work.

But he was wrong when he thought I would disagree with him and say that long distance relationships are a horrible idea.

They aren’t –– unless it’s with one person in Africa without access to the Internet or a phone and the other is in the tundra in northern Canada living in an igloo. An actual and reliable way to communicate is necessary for these relationships.

I agree and say it’s almost always worth it in the end. If there are feelings there then they’re important.

If you don’t even give a relationship a shot then who knows? You’ll be wondering about what could have happened probably for the rest of your life.

This reminds me –– I must say that Eugene should not continue to wonder about what’s going to happen between him and Beyoncé –– because nothing’s ever going to happen. I’m not sorry for saying so.

A friend of mine started dating a guy in high school. Even though they didn’t live in the same state for more than a few weeks at a time, they made it work and are now engaged.
The moral of the story?

They knew it was going to be extremely difficult, and she admits there were lots of tears involved, but they felt strongly about their feelings and it paid off.

I talked to a few people about this issue and surprisingly I heard many answers that suggest long-term relationships are too much of a hassle.

But I talked to a girl who said her long distance relationship has kept some excitement and mystery in her life –– not knowing when she would get to see her guy or what they would do the next time they saw each other made each time special.

Also, we do not live in the stone age. We have e-mail, texting, phone calls, billboards, Facebook and Twitter to keep you connected to your guy from hundreds of miles away.

I’d now like to take this opportunity to say that Skype is probably one of the best inventions for relationships. It allows your guy to see your face and the carefully picked out top you’re wearing.

Good luck with all your relationships, and if you happen to see Eugene’s fantasy women then you could at least get her autograph for him because that’s as close as he’ll ever get.

Anna Baldwin is a senior journalism major, and Eugene Daniels is a junior journalism major. Mars vs. Venus appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.