Letter to the Editor

Authors: Kathryn Powell

Shame on you. The recent opinion about the sexual assault fee being passed that was expressed as the views of the editors of the Collegian was disheartening.

April is Sexual Assault Awareness month and all you can talk about is the politics of the fee? Needless to say, politics and elections are often filled with broken promises, but could you look on the bright side?

There is now enough money to help those who have been raped or sexually assaulted. Have you ever heard the story of a rape victim? Of a person who tried to get help but couldn’t and decided to commit suicide instead?

There may never be a “right” time to implement such a fee but is there ever a right time to be raped? Your opinions have shown a cold indifferent side to the survivors of sexual assault and rape and you should be ashamed. What if your girlfriend, sister, mom, brother or friend was raped or assaulted and struggled with finding help? I bet you wouldn’t be lashing out against the sexual assault fee then.

Remember the old adage not to judge someone until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes. Let us hope you never have to experience a rape or sexual assault and use those resources. But until you do, please show a little compassion for those survivors of rape and sexual assault and not lash out against the fee since they are already dealing with so much.

From a sexual assault survivor.

Kathryn Powell is a history major and women’s studies minor.