Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The CSU track and field team performed well as host to the Jack Christiansen Invitational Friday and Saturday, winning six events over the weekend.

Freshman Trevor Brown won the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.43 seconds, just edging out sophomore Kelby Dias, who finished in 14.46.

Another freshman, jumper Graham Gilliland, had an outstanding day by winning the triple jump at 48-feet-11 inches and finishing second in the long jump to Stephen Michel of Wyoming with a leap of 22-feet-11 1/4 inches. Both of Gilliland’s jumps were personal bests.

“Graham had a great day,” said head coach Brian Bedard. “(Horizontal jumps coach Tim) Cawley has been talking him up in practice the past few weeks, but to see it finally come together in competition is great.”

Junior Nicole Peters blew away the rest of the field in the women’s 3,000-meter steeplechase, finishing more than a minute before her closest competitor.

Senior Cameron Carter placed third in the discus throw, but 2004 Olympian Casey Malone won the event with a throw of 188-feet-1 inch.
“It’s tough for Cameron with two multi-All Americans Olympians in front of him,” Bedard said. “Being the first collegian athlete is good, but he gets overshadowed.”

Weather conditions were less than favorable over the course of the meet.

Temperatures peaked at 47 degrees on Saturday, while rain and wind made competition more difficult.

The meet was CSU’s third home meet of the regular season, and the Rams will host the Mountain West Conference Championships at the Jack Christiansen Memorial Track May 11-14.

Track and Field Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.