Earth Day bash hits FoCo

Authors: Vashti Batjargal

Civic Center Park bustled Saturday as residents perused booths, a beer garden and listened to speakers and performers throughout the day as part of Earth Day Fort Collins, despite temperatures staying in the mid-40s.

Franklyn Garry, a clinical science professor and director of the integrated livestock management program at CSU, was the event’s first scheduled speaker. He focused his speech on his agricultural experiences, having grown up on a dairy farm in the state of New York and his time as a professor.

Garry addressed the crowd of 27, many of them in their big winter jackets, about the significance of food.

“Nobody is going to argue that food is unimportant in our lives,” Garry said, explaining that the types of food people eat, where they get that food and how those choices affect the greater community are intricately intertwined.

He encouraged listeners and consumers, too, to pay attention to food production, and its good and bad aspects.

The theme of Earth Day was presented through the many booths on display at the event, including cleaning with non-toxic supplies, kid nature camps, community-support agriculture booths with freshly picked carrots and Be Local Northern Colorado, an organization that stresses the importance of supporting local businesses, among others.

Event organizers Rocky Mountain Sustainable Living Association put together the performers and speakers throughout the day and hosted a kids booth that allowed children take home cans of worms and make guerilla gardening seed bombs.

Chris Anderson, a senior anthropology major, volunteered at the booth on Saturday, explaining to participants the idea behind the bombs, made of red clay, organic compost, seeds and waters.

People in New York wanted to try to make the areas they lived in and around a little greener, so they started throwing the clay balls over fences into abandoned areas and the idea spread, Anderson said.

CSU’s Environmental Learning Center also hosted a booth with CSU students volunteering as an outreach to the community, teaching visitors about nature and their organization.

“As an individual I try to remember to be conscious about my effect on the environment everyday,” said Nick Clarke, a senior natural resources manager. “But this is a day to kind of help other people understand that and to celebrate what benefits we get from the environment but also how we can impact it in a positive way.”

Staff writer Vashti Batjargal can be reached at news@collegian.com.