Authors: Colleen McSweeney

It only takes four chords to make a pop song — and three funny Australian guys to point it out.

As a stop on their first U.S. tour, the Aussie musical comedy trio The Axis of Awesome will perform in the Lory Student Center Theater tonight at 7:30.

The Axis of Awesome is best known in the states for their song “Four Chords,” which has received more than 14 million views on YouTube. The song satirizes the monotony of pop music by melding together dozens of pop hits, including Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing,” using the same four-chord progression.

“It just shocked me to see how many songs used those four chords,” undeclared freshman Vincent Hauser said. “The Axis of Awesome is the epitome of ‘awesome.’”

After watching the group on YouTube, Association for Student Activity Programming Comedy coordinator Tim Brogdon was also amused, and he thought the trio would be perfect for ASAP Comedy’s next big concert.

“We researched other musical comedians, but we realized Axis of Awesome was the best act for the best price,” Brogdon said. The group’s booking fee was $4,000, which was paid for with ASAP-allotted student fees.

However, working out concert logistics with an Australia based act wasn’t easy for ASAP Comedy.

“We’ve been working hard with the agent since February, and the contracting process took a little longer than expected,” Brogdon said. “We’re really lucky to have (The Axis of Awesome) coming to CSU.”

Along with the trio’s YouTube hit, tonight’s audience will also have the chance to hear some of Axis of Awesome’s original songs and various musical parodies.

And while he didn’t announce an exact set list, Axis of Awesome’s lead vocalist Jordan Raskopouos promises a one-of-a-kind show.

“(There will be) three Australian men singing funny songs for around an hour. We’ll also talk and dance a bit,” Raskopouos said in an email to the Collegian.

“The climax of the show involves a rooftop battle with a sexy demon woman and a large man made of marshmallow. Seriously, it’ll be better than studying.”

Ticket’s are $4 for CSU students, $7 for non-students and they can be purchased at the door or ahead of time at csutix.com.

Staff writer Colleen McSweeney can be reached at verve@collegian.com.