Authors: Darin Atteberry

Whether speaking to a recent graduate or some one who has lived in Fort Collins for decades, I often hear the same story. I came to Fort Collins to attend Colorado State University, fell in love with the town and decided to stay here after graduation.

It’s not surprising and it got me thinking about what makes Fort Collins so special. So here is my list of uniquely Fort Collins experiences. Whether you’re preparing for graduation or just summer break, you’ll want to check these off your list. Who knows, by the time you get to number 10 you just might decide to make Fort Collins home … permanently.

Visit Soapstone Prairie Natural Area

Yes, the 42 miles of trail make for a mountain biking utopia. Yes, the views and vistas are nothing short of amazing. But Soapstone is also home to one of the world’s most significant archeological finds. The Lindenmeier site is a National Historic Landmark where findings conclusively dated human habitation in North America to at least 10,000 years ago.

Meet your neighbor

A big part of what makes Fort Collins special is the people who live here. Getting to know your neighbor creates stronger and safer communities.
Bike Spring Creek Trail from Spring Canyon Park to the Visitor Center

We have more than 30 miles of paved trails that offer residents the rare ability to travel from one end of town all the way across to the other without ever leaving the trail. Take the trip and see why Fort Collins has been designated a Gold-Level Bike Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclist.

Celebrate CSU Homecoming

Much more than just a university event, CSU Homecoming is a community-wide celebration of CSU athletics, students and living in a college town.

Play disc golf at Edora

Is there a better way to enjoy a summer afternoon than 18 holes of Frisbee golf?

Stroll the First Friday Gallery Walk

See a different side of Fort Collins the first Friday of every month when local galleries stay open late and welcome guests with refreshments. Arts and culture arts have a significant, positive impact on our local economy. In a 2007 study, we estimated this industry provides a $15.9 million boost to our economy.

Go a full week without moving your car

If you commit to keeping your car parked for seven full days I think you’ll find out just how easy it is to travel by bike and/or Transfort bus.

Explore Poudre Canyon

Nestled at the base of the foothills; Fort Collins provides easy access to the mountains without having to drive I-70. Kayaking the Poudre

River, hiking Cameron Pass or camping at Chambers Lake, pure Colorado is literally minutes from your front door.

I’ve lived in several towns across the U.S. and have found Fort Collins residents to be some of the most engaged community members in the nation. Local residents care about their community and recognize the important role they play in assuring Fort Collins continues to be a world class community.

It goes without saying that this list could go on. And after completing each and every item on the list above (and that includes disc golf), I can say without a doubt Fort Collins is truly a special place.

My story is similar to those I hear all the time. My family and I came here because of a job opportunity. It didn’t take long to fall in love with Fort Collins and
declare that this would be our home!

Darin Atteberry is the City Manager of Fort Collins.