Track heads to Cali

Authors: David de Besche

The CSU track and field team has a busy couple of days in California, as it will be competing at three separate meets this weekend.

The Rams will participate at the Cal State Twilight Open in Los Angeles, the Beach Invitational in Long Beach and the Mount Sac Relays in Walnut, Calif.

More staff than usual will make the trip to help keep the meets as normal for the Rams as any other weekend. Head coach Brian Bedard views the trip to California as a great opportunity for his young team.

“We are trying to give our athletes the best options to compete while in California,” Bedard said. “We are trying to get the biggest bang for our buck while on this trip.”

CSU is coming off an interesting weekend at the Sun Angel Track Classic in Phoenix, Ariz. Weather was uncharacteristically cold with temperatures in the 30s. Coach Bedard said the weather was a factor for his team and hopes his team will not be affected by outside elements again.

“We need to work on our mental toughness. We are looking for consistency throughout the meets,” Bedard said.

The Rams currently sit in sixth place on the women’s side of the Mountain West Conference standings while the men find themselves in the seventh. The young team has been improving with many athletes breaking personal records week after week.

“We are definitely on the up swing, we are getting better every week,” Bedard said.

Freshman Jessica Sharbono has been stellar for the Rams in her first year of throwing discuss. Sharbono has had personal records in each of the last two meets and is currently leading the Mountain West with a throw of 172’3.

“I am doing well and look to continue what I am doing,” Sharbono said.

The athletes do not see the weekend’s schedule as being a problem and most are excited for the chance to compete multiple times.

“I could see it being a problem for some of the longer distance runners, but I am looking forward to running in two meets,” freshman Trevor Brown said of the unorthodox weekend schedule.

The Rams, who will be facing some of the top athletes in the country while in California, are going in with a lot of confidence and high expectations for the weekend.

“We are looking for as many personal records as we can get, move up in the MWC and start getting some qualifying times,” Bedard said.
_
Track and Field Beat Reporter David de Besche can be reached at sports@collegian.com._