Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

On April 20, 2010, the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig exploded, killing 11 men working on the platform and injuring 17 others. It was then that a wellhead started gushing oil into the waters of the Gulf of Mexico. By July 15, the leak was capped only after 4,900,000 barrels of crude oil killed off wetlands, millions of fish and other wildlife and crippled, for months, the fishing industry in affected areas.

Since, all fingers point at British Petroleum, the company being held accountable for the largest accidental marine oil spill in the petroleum industry’s history.

But, while affected communities further fault BP for the spill, some local governments on the coast have poured monies awarded by the company into SUVs, tasers and other goods unnecessary to cleanup efforts, as reported by the Associated Press.

According to sales tax collection records and interviews of people who worked on the spill, gathered by ProPublica and The Washinton Post, Louisiana made out better than anywhere, in terms of claims money paid out by BP.

In total, BP has awarded $16 billion since the spill, as reported on ProPublica’s website.

St. Bernard Parish, five miles southeast of downtown New Orleans, is one of many communities considered a “spillionaire” and has charged BP $15,400 per month for a generator that normally cost $1,500 a month and more than $1 million for land rented for $1,700 per month.

The parish president, Craig Taffaro, said he didn’t have a problem taking in the “ungodly amounts of money.” But St. Bernard Parish councilman Wayne Landry said his parish “raped BP,” and that he was guilty by association for what had occurred.

So, while governments whined BP didn’t give them enough funds to rebuild their broken communities, a good chunk of money received was rerouted in ridiculous ways.

Let corruption ring.

Go Online:

http://www.propublica.org/article/spillionaires-profiteering-mismanagement-in-the-wake-of-the-bp-oil-spill