Authors: Erin Udell

Weeks of preparation and practice finally culminated Tuesday night as CSU sorority and fraternity members danced routines in one of Greek Week’s biggest competitions: Lip Sync.

Almost 800 students and members of greek life gathered at the sold-out University Center for the Arts to watch as performers danced to mash-ups of Lady Gaga, the Pussy Cat Dolls and The Bangles at the annual event.

Proceeds from the $3 ticket sales went toward the Crossroads Safe House, a Larimer County program that offers free advocacy, legal assistance, transitional housing and education to its more than 300 residents.

“It’s the biggest event (of Greek Week) because it requires a lot of work and a lot of time to get everyone together to practice,” said Jenny Quist, director of Greek Week and homecoming for the Panhellenic Council. “It’s also entertaining to see the fraternity members strut their stuff on stage.”

Sororities and fraternities from across campus were put into different Las Vegas hotel-themed teams and performed their routines before a panel of judges who rated the performances on a point basis.

The team who earns the most points over the course of the week becomes the year’s Greek Week champions — an honor that will be announced at Sunday night’s Greek Night Out Awards.

“I came to support our team,” said Phi Delta Theta fraternity pledge Ryan Conway while waiting for the performances to begin. “It’s nice watching all of our hard work pay off.”

Each team choreographed dances to songs related to their assigned hotel, which included New York-New York, the Venetian, Bellagio, Paris, Luxor, Treasure Island and Caesar’s Palace.

“It was a fantastic way to show healthy greek competition,” said Brian Roling, vice president of events coordination in the Intra-Fraternity Council. “It brings everybody out, and they all have such a blast.”

The competition, which started over ten years ago, is a Greek Week favorite, bringing in more attendance than other events, like the all-greek barbeque, Red Bull Chariot Race and Greek Olympics competition.

“It’s the thing that everyone always looks forward to during Greek Week,” Roling said.

Senior Reporter Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.