Apr 112011
Authors: Jason Pohl

The time has come once again for students growing weary of the high costs of out-of-state tuition to plead their case and begin filing their petition for in-state residency.

Under state law, being granted in-state residency for tuition purposes requires a student to live in their primary and legal, permanent residence for the year immediately preceding the first day of class, according to the Colorado Department of Education.

Students have the opportunity to change this domicile through a process known as petitioning. If their request for the change is granted, they will be recognized as a Colorado resident and pay the reduced in-state tuition price of roughly $7,000 –– as opposed to $23,000 per year for out-of-state tuition.

The steps and documentation required for students working through the petition process are detailed and getting an early start is advised by Student Financial Services.

To begin the process, students must first attend a residency orientation in Centennial Hall to get general information about the process and documentation that will be necessary. Meetings are held throughout the semester and last about an hour.

The packet requires information, including parent and student personal data and plans for the future. Most students must also provide a month-by-month expense chart including money spent on books, rent, food and transportation.

Additionally, voter registration cards, tax returns, vehicle registration and bank records are necessary for financial emancipation proof.
A notarized letter from the student’s guardians and copies of their most recent tax return may also be required.

“If students are not living here for long enough, it is assumed that they are not contributing tax dollars to education,” Leighton said.
Once all documentation is compiled, the packet must be submitted for review to the financial aid office. The review process can take up to 30 days.

According to CSU Financial Services Representative Christie Leighton, most applications come from students who are 23 years old or older or those who are graduate students.

“We see more of those,” she said. “There are just more individuals who meet requirements at that time.”

Students who are married and those who can prove complete financial independence from any other person will also be considered for the residency status change.

According to the Colorado Department of Education, “persons not so qualified are unemancipated minors and assume the domicile of their parents,” meaning that they still are residents of their former state.

The priority deadline for students to submit their packet for fall semester is July 8, and the applicant will generally know before the day classes begin.

“We encourage students to get their paperwork in as early as possible so they can plan accordingly,” Leighton said.
Staff writer Jason Pohl can be reached at news@collegian.com._

 Posted by at 4:59 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.