Authors: Joel Hafnor

The 2010-11 school year is winding down, and for the most part so, too, is the collegiate sports world.

With that in mind, let us take a moment to look back at the best and brightest in Colorado State athletics over the past year. Welcome to the first (and last) annual RAMMY award ceremonies.

We’ll start with the best single-game performances of 2010-11:

Best Female Athlete Performance: Megan Plourde vs. Cal State Fullerton, Volleyball, Dec. 3, 2010
The all-conference sophomore took control in the first round of the NCAA tournament by recording a school-record 19 blocks as the Rams rallied from down two sets to win in a five-set thriller in Palo Alto, Calif. Plourde added 20 kills in the effort, nearly notching an unheard of “20-20.”

Honorable Mentions:
Kim Mestdagh vs. UNLV, Basketball, Jan. 18, 2011
The Belgium-native Mestdagh dominated with 25 points and 7 rebounds and surpassed 1,000 career points at Colorado State in the process.

Maddie Gamble at MWC Championships, Swimming, Feb. 24, 2011
Just six days after being hit by a car on campus, the senior swimmer not only competed in the conference championships, she recorded her best time of the season in the 500-meter freestyle event. Gamble struggled through incredible pain in her knee as she pushed off each wall.

Best Male Athlete Performance: Guy Miller vs. UNLV, Football, Oct. 16, 2010
You had to see this performance to truly appreciate just how dominant it was. The Runnin’ Rebels had no answer for Miller, who finished the game with 4 ½ sacks, breaking the all-time Mountain West Conference record.

Honorable Mentions:
Raymond Carter vs. Idaho, Football, Sep. 25, 2010
An incredible all-purpose effort by the UCLA transfer, ending the game with 324 total yards of offense and three touchdowns in 36-34 Win over Idaho to end a 12-game losing streak.

Leonard Mason vs. New Mexico, Football, Oct. 30, 2010
A third consecutive 100-yard performance, “The Beast” carried the Rams to the tune of 124 yards rushing and three touchdowns.

Travis Franklin at UNLV, Basketball, Jan. 19, 2011
In the biggest win of the season, no one was bigger than Franklin. The senior posted an impressive 24 points and 8 rebounds to guide the Rams in a 78-63 road win over UNLV.

Andy Ogide at Utah, Basketball, Jan. 29, 2011
Going against a massive Utah frontline, Ogide used his superior quickness and athleticism to post a career-high 28 points in the road win over the Utes. He also collected 10 rebounds and even hit three shots from downtown.

Female RAMMY of the Year: Danielle Minch, Volleyball
This one almost goes without saying. Minch won her second consecutive Mountain West Conference player of the year award in 2010, leading the league in points per set (4.58). The Sterling native was also named the 2010 “College Female Athlete of the Year” by the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame.

Honorable Mentions:
Kim Mestdagh, Basketball
Breann Fuller, Swimming

Male RAMMY of the Year: Andy Ogide, Basketball
The CSU men’s basketball season was one full of highs and lows, but Ogide provided a much-needed consistency throughout. The senior earned first-team all-MWC honors by scoring 18.2 points per game on 57.8 percent shooting and collecting 7.8 rebounds a contest.

Honorable Mentions:
Travis Franklin, Basketball
Ricky Brewer, Football

RAMMY Coach of the Year: Tim Miles, Men’s Basketball
Miles earns Coach of the Year honors after leading the men’s basketball program to the NIT in 2010-11. Though the team finished the season with just one win in their final seven games, Miles should be commended for turning a once irrelevant program into legitimate conference contenders.

Honorable Mentions:
Tom Hilbert, Volleyball
Kristen Holt, Women’s Basketball

Congratulations to all of the 2010-11 RAMMY award winners, and thank you for your extraordinary efforts.

Sports Editor Joel Hafnor can be reached at sports@collegian.com.