Authors: Courtney Riley

Lisa Poppaw celebrated her win against Sue Pawlak in the race for District 2 City Council Representative with a 53.29 percent majority Tuesday night at the Island Grill with friends and family.

Poppaw won 3,048 votes, 376 more votes than Pawlak’s 2,672.

This is Poppaw’s second 4-year term as city council member for District 2, and she said it feels just as good as the first time she won this position.

“There’s so much good energy, and it feels so good to have that,” Poppaw said.

She said she wants to continue the work city council has been doing.

“I think we’re doing a really good job,” she said. “I want to keep doing things that help make Fort Collins the best place to live in America.”

Part of her agenda is to focus on economic development, protecting neighborhoods and the environment, promoting the arts and culture of Fort Collins and strengthening the relationship between CSU and the Fort Collins community.

David Roy, a former city council member, knew Poppaw before she was a city council member.

“She has always cared about the citizens in her district and in Fort Collins,” he said. “I’ve found her willingness to take on issues remarkable, and she really understands that the work we do today affects people tomorrow.”

Cindy Carrington, Poppaw’s friend, assisted with her campaign both this year and in her first time running for city council.

“In the past four years she has shown her constituents how hard she works and how passionate she is about Fort Collins,” Carrington said. “She knows how the city works, and that will make her better at doing her job.”

Pawlak said she is not disappointed and they both ran a good campaign.

She said she plans to run for a position in the future –– though she is unsure what that position will be –– and will continue attending city council meetings and work sessions.

“This gives me two years to prepare for whatever the next opportunity is,” she said.

Don Butler, a Fort Collins resident who worked on Pawlak’s campaign said she will be back.

“Some good things came out of tonight,” he said. “We have to be good sports and make the city better by all working together.”

ASCSU Beat Reporter Courtney Riley can be reached at news@collegian.com.