Authors: Jim Sojourner

New evacuations have been ordered after high winds and warm weather fanned the flames of the Crystal Fire burning in the mountains west of Fort Collins Tuesday.

As of 6:30 p.m., residents of Moondance Way, Stringtown Gulch, Redtail Way, Ohana Way, Lightning Ridge Way, Deer Path Way and lower Windsong Roads have been encouraged to evacuate to the Red Cross emergency shelter set up at Walk Clark Middle School at 2605 Carlisle Dr. in Loveland.

“We know there has been some fire that has pushed passed the perimeter,” said fire spokeswoman Reghan Cloudman.

The evacuations are precautionary to protect area residents and firefighters, according to a press release issued by the Larimer County Sheriff’s Department. Roads in the area are closed to all but emergency workers.

Although winds have calmed tonight, the fire encompasses about 3,200 acres and is 15 percent contained in the foothill grasses and thick pine stands 10 miles northwest of Masonville, according to an incident website administered by the U.S. Forest Service. No one has been injured.

Fire activity has increased to the south and to the north, of the fire perimeter, Cloudman said, and efforts have been hindered by the wind throughout the day.

Depending on the wind conditions, she said, firefighting efforts overnight might not be possible except for patrols.

Heat remains within the perimeter and winds of increasing intensity have increased smoke visibility in the region. A federal firefighting team comprised of about 300 personnel, which took over management of the fire last night, is responding to areas where the flames flare up.

Larimer County and the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests have put fire restrictions in place.

Earlier today, crews continued to build containment lines around the blaze and worked mitigate hazards. Two helicopters supported ground crews early in the day but were grounded by high winds.

Cloudman said the air support made use of lucky conditions to drop as many buckets of water as possible before winds picked up in the afternoon.

The fire started Saturday night, encompassing only about 25 acres as the sun set. Winds upward of 50 miles per hour whipped up the flames overnight, however, and the fire grew to burn about 4,500 acres, forcing 336 people to evacuate the area Sunday. The fire burned at least 15 homes and a number of other vehicles and outbuildings.

The evacuees were allowed to return to their homes Sunday night but were told to be prepared to evacuate again if conditions changed.

For more information, residents can contact the Crystal Fire Joint Information Center at 970-398-5500.

New evacuations have been ordered after high winds and warm weather increased activity for the Crystal Fire.

As of 6:30 p.m., residents of Moondance Way, Stringtown Gulch, Redtail Way, Ohana Way, Lightning Ridge Way, Deer Path Way and lower Windsong Roads have been encouraged to evacuate.