On March 18, 2011, the federal government fired another salvo in the war against their bankrupt, oligarchic, despotic, power-hungry, corrupt and failing organization.

Though my feelings and thoughts on the federal government have been thoroughly presented previously, inevitably some will again accuse me of taking an “us versus them,” mentality. To those naysayers I respond, again, damn straight.
The Framers of the Constitution –– the document that created the federal government –– designed the federal level of government as a servant for the collective will of the states to serve their united needs.

What we have now instead is a beast draining the life from the economy, the states, the resolve of our allies and for the last decade, the rights of citizens.

As the quote goes, “don’t steal, the government hates competition.” The trial against Bernard von NotHaus on charges of conspiracy and counterfeiting initiated because the federal government does not want other forms of exchange competing with the system of consumption fed by the Federal Reserve note.

Understandable, after all, the Federal Reserve note you use today to buy most of a 20-ounce bottle of soda has lost 96 percent of its value since 1913 when the Federal Reserve first started protecting the value of the dollar as its delusional supporters claim.

Von NotHaus, 67, founded the company who made the Liberty Dollar.

The prosecution successfully, although inaccurately, argued NotHaus attempted to pass off Liberty Dollars –– which are made from silver and gold –– as U.S. currency. This argument completely disregards the facts.

A major point of dispute between the defendant and the prosecution came from the intended purpose of Liberty Dollars. Printed in various denominations, a single-silver Liberty Dollar carried a value of $20 American until recently.

For those of you with the foresight to buy physical silver and gold, you are aware of what has happened to the values of both. If you haven’t been paying attention you may want to start. A single 1-ounce silver coin is now worth nearly $40 and climbing.

NotHaus stated his intent was to create an item used for barter in the exchange of goods. Barter is similar to purchase, but with important distinctions, in barter you literally can trade anything for anything –– apparently except for silver and gold for consumer products.

Regardless, it is highly important to understand the claims made by the federal government as well as the prosecutor’s statements after the trial found NotHaus guilty.

Article 1, Section 10 of the Constitution declares, “No state shall coin money or make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts.”

Several states, including our Mormon sister to the west, have initiated legislation for silver and gold coins as legal currency within their state to protect their residents from the effects of the Federal Reserve’s hyperinflationary and highly ignorant maneuvers to correct the economy’s southward trajectory.

Do what you can to understand what happens in countries that enter hyperinflationary depressions.

Upon NotHaus’ conviction U.S. Attorney Anne Tompkins declared, “Attempts to undermine the legitimate currency of this country are simply a unique form of domestic terrorism.” Careful there prosecutor, you sound an awful lot like a statist.
The facts of the case are simple, NotHaus never sold Liberty Dollars as legal tender and each dollar has “negotiable” stamped or printed on the face.

None of the products resembled the rapidly devaluing Federal Reserve note other than being paper –– backed by silver and gold, a practice the Keynesian lemmings of the world abhor –– or coin.

The federal government is telling us everything we need to know about the federal government. If you are not completely in line with their agenda, you are a terrorist. Does this sound like the land of the free and the home of the brave?

The game is changing, the platform of hope has given way to, “If you’re not with us, you’re against us.”

Time to choose sides.

Seth J. Stern is not paranoid if proven correct. His column appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.