Authors: Joseph Garcia

On April 13, the College of Business Dean’s Student Leadership Council in collaboration with the Daniels Fund Ethics Initiative will host Business Day. This year, the event will feature prominent speakers such as Urban Meyer, Sonny Lubick and Frank Abagnale Jr.

The event will take place in the Lory Student Center in both the Grey Rock Ballroom and the Lory Student Center Theatre. Business Day events are free and seats will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.

As Business Day chair, I would like to personally invite and encourage all students to attend this year’s event. Our speakers range from former NCAA Division I football coaches to leaders of influential non-profits.

Business Day will offer something for everybody, and let me be clear in saying that Business Day is not just for business majors ­­–– the event was designed with the entire student body in mind. Topics that transcend disciplines of study and professions such as mentoring, ethics and leadership are what Business Day was built upon.

The day begins at 10 a.m. with Libby Cook in the Grey Rock Ballroom. Cook will be holding a session about “Building Business Through Community.” She has an impressive professional background that includes building the natural foods grocery chain, Wild Oats Market, from scratch and overseeing its initial public offering. She currently serves as president of a non-profit organization called Philanthropiece.

Our second session will feature Eric Bechtel, founder and managing partner of a sports marketing firm, beginning at 11 a.m. in the Grey Rock Ballroom.
Bechtel will be talking about athlete marketing and the benefits and risks associated with having an all-star athlete endorse your product.

With the Tiger Woods scandal still fresh in our minds, Mr. Bechtel will walk students through the decision making process of whether or not having an athlete endorse a product is a wise and ethical decision. Free CSU sunglasses will be given to the first 50 students at both the 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. sessions.

The third session of the day will feature Frank Abagnale Jr. and will take place at noon in the LSC Theatre. Abagnale’s life story has served as the inspiration for the Hollywood hit, “Catch Me If You Can,” a book, Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake, and most recently a Broadway play. He lived as a notorious con man, but after serving five years in prison, he devoted his life to protecting Americans against fraud. Abagnale will be speaking to students about the “Catch Me If You Can Story” and the challenges fraud presents to our generation. For those of you who have not seen the movie, “Catch Me If You Can,” a showing will run at 7 p.m. in the LSC Theatre on Monday, April 11. Campus Activities is a co-sponsor. Free popcorn!

The day ends with Urban Meyer and Sonny Lubick at 2 p.m. in the LSC Theatre. The coaches will be talking about mentoring and how it has played a role in their success. Coach Meyer has a special connection to Colorado State, having served as a wide receiver coach here under Sonny Lubick.

The Dean’s Student Leadership Council has worked very hard to make Business Day a unique and memorable learning experience for students at Colorado State University, and we hope you will join us in attending one or all of the engaging and enjoyable sessions.

Joseph Garcia is a business administration student.