Community Briefs for 4/4

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Last day to turn in city election ballots tomorrow

With Fort Collins municipal elections underway, anyone wishing to vote must turn in their ballot by 7 p.m. tomorrow.

Ballots postmarked April 5 will not be counted if they’re received later than 7 p.m.

The election is mail-in only, and citizens were asked to mail their ballot no later than last Friday.

Ballots may be turned in by hand to the City Clerk’s Office, City Hall West, 300 LaPorte Ave. at Fort Collins Police Services, 2221 S. Timberline Road or at the Larimer County Citizen Information Center, 200 W. Oak St.

Ballots must be signed in order to be valid.

Former ASCSU president turned mayor gets fined for lying

The Indiana Dental Board voted unanimously to fine former Associated Students of CSU president and Southport, Ind. Mayor Rob Thoman for failing to disclose required information during his dental license renewal process.

Thoman will have to pay $2,000 and perform 40 hours of community service for not disclosing on his 1987 application that he pled no contest to a felony embezzlement charge related to school funds while he was ASCSU president in 1981, the Indiana attorney general’s office alleged.

Although he will be allowed to retain his dental license, Thoman’s license will be on probation for a year.

No one injured in small plane crash

A small airplane crashed at the Owl Canyon Gliderport Saturday morning, but neither of the two occupants were injured.

The Larimer County Sheriff and Wellington Fire responded to reports of a downed aircraft at the airport near Larimer County Road 7 and Hackamore Road at about 10 a.m. to find a fixed-wing aircraft that had crashed about 75 yards west of the runway, according to a press release.

The plane, piloted by a student and his instructor, was attempting to land when it struck a gazebo, damaging the plane’s left wing and fuselage. The two occupants received only minor injuries and refused treatment.

The Federal Aviation Agency and National Transportation Safety Board have been notified and will investigate.