Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The CSU track team will compete as a full team for the first time in the outdoor season when it hosts the Fum McGraw Triangular on Saturday.

Earlier this season the Rams competed with a partial team at the Potts Invitational due to the coinciding spring break, and split the team up to compete in two separate meets last weekend.

“I’m excited to have the team together for our first home meet,” CSU coach Brian Bedard said. “This is our first opportunity to have an outdoor meet with the whole team here.”

At the CSU-Pueblo open, the Rams had two athletes finish in first place in their respective events. Freshman Alison Forrester placed first in the women’s high jump with a personal record of 5 feet, 7 inches, while sophomore Ryan Wasilawski won the men’s triple jump.

“It’s a really big deal because I’m a freshman and half of our jump squad is made up of freshman right now,” Forrester said. “So it’s just good to see some freshman stepping up and doing well.”

Wasilawski also won the triple jump at the Potts Invitational in Boulder this year, and will go into the Fum McGraw Triangular having won the even in his last two meets.

“It feels pretty good because I struggled in it last year because I didn’t start learning it until last year,” he said.

CSU will host conference opponent Wyoming and in-state rival UNC in the Triangular, which will be run as a set of dual meets between each of the teams competing. The meet is the Rams’ first of three home meets this season, which will culminate in CSU hosting the Mountain West Conference Championships May 11-14.

“We don’t get a chance to host a conference championship very often,” Bedard said. “It’s a tune-up meet for us to make sure our facilities are ready and our officials are ready and to get any glitches out.”

There are also advantages to hosting a meet from a competitive standpoint. The Rams are able to compete at home where they practice as well as having the support of a home crowd.

“It’s good to get the home fans there,” Wasilawaski said.

Competing against teams like UNC and Wyoming on the track also provides benefits in the recruiting battle as well.

“We recruit against those school an awful lot,” Bedard said. “So from a recruiting standpoint and bragging rights and that sort of thing it’s always important to beat our in-state rivals.”
_
Track and Field Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.
_