Authors: David de Besche

The Colorado State women’s tennis team will take its hot streak on the road this weekend as they open up Mountain West Conference action in Las Vegas, Nev.

The Rams (7-5) are coming off their best weekend of tennis of the year when they defeated Weber State, 6-1, last Friday. The victory was their fifth in six matches and their third in a row.

Head coach Jon Messick is pleased with the way his team has been competing, especially so early in the season.

“We are playing our best tennis of the year right now,” Messick said.

The team is rounding towards full strength as several players were riddled with sickness and injury earlier in the season. The players credit the close knit relationship between teammates for keeping the season on track.

“Our strength is our comaraderie and work ethic,” senior Melissa Holzinger said.

Back at full strength as a team, the Rams feel confident they can continue to improve.

“We are playing really well, and we are all still improving,” Messick said.

Many of the Rams have individual winning streaks on the line today. Juniors Lauren Mulhern, Veronika Wojakowska and freshman Kaley Schultz have all won their last three matches in a row.

Holzinger has also won five of her last six matches and was recognized as the MWC Player of the Week. After missing all fall with a back injury, the senior is ecstatic that her hard work has paid off.

“It made me feel really good, especially after my injury,” Holzinger said.

As a freshman, Schultz has stepped up to the No. 5 singles rank and has paired with Mulhern for the Rams’ No. 2 doubles position.

Contributing immensely as a freshman, coach Messick sees a big future for his underclassman.

“(Schultz) is going to do nothing but improve. She is going to be a strong player for us,” Messick said.

CSU will look to extend the three-match winning streak today as they face San Diego State University (9-6) who has won its past five games.

On Saturday the Rams will take on UNLV (11-4) to close out the opening weekend of conference play.

With both SDSU and UNLV ranking among the top 50 in the nation, the Rams know they are going to have to play well to continue their winning ways.

“We are going to have to pick up our game a notch,”
Messick said. “(San Diego State and UNLV) are a cut above what we have been facing.”
_
Women’s Tennis Beat Reporter David de Besche can be reached at sports@collegian.com._