Authors: Erin Udell

In a U.S. News and World Report ranking of the country’s best graduate programs, many of CSU’s programs received accolades, particularly programs in health and science fields.

“At CSU, we’re focused on providing an excellent, affordable education and cutting-edge research that makes a difference in the world, and to this extent the rankings system recognizes our success in meeting these goals, and we appreciate it,” said CSU President Tony Frank in a press release.

CSU’s veterinary medicine professional doctorate program was ranked third among the programs in the report, behind Cornell University and the University of California-Davis.

According to the official website for the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, CSU has a premier infectious disease program, leads the nation in veterinary research funding and has the largest cancer center for animals of its kind in the world.

With the program becoming increasingly competitive, more than 1,700 people apply every year for only 138 offered spots.

Also rated in the report were the university’s College of Engineering, ranked 60th, and the School of Education, which was stated to be “ranked among the best overall programs” in the nation in the press release but was ranked 170th out of 184 programs.

“It’s a big pool, so even being in the top 200 can rank you in the top of the nation,” said Brad Bohlander, CSU’s chief public relations officer.

CSU’s Department of Occupational Therapy in the College of Applied Human Sciences was also recognized in the report as being eighth in the nation.

According to Wendy Wood, head of the Department of Occupational Therapy, the ranking is most likely because of the reputation of the program’s entry level professional master’s degree program, as well as the many nationally and internationally recognized research and service centers.

“We’re thrilled,” Wood said. “We’ve been ranked in the top 10. We’re very pleased with the ranking, and I think it shows that we’re highly regarded by our colleagues and peers.”

Many other colleges recognized in the report’s top 50 rankings include civil and environmental/environmental health programs in the College of Engineering, as well as chemistry and statistics programs in the College of Natural Sciences.

“In general, we feel that CSU is an outstanding educational institution at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and it certainly is nice to be recognized for that success,” Bohlander said.

Other programs ranked include: chemical, electrical and mechanical engineering, biological sciences, computer science, earth sciences, fine arts, math, physics, psychology, social work and sociology.

“The fact that CSU programs remain recognized as top in the nation is a great tribute to the quality and dedication of our outstanding faculty and commitment of our talented students,” Frank said.

Senior Reporter Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.

And top ranks go to…

Graduate programs that received high rankings:

• Veterinary medicine
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Education
  • Engineering
  • Chemical, electrical, mechanical engineering
  • Biological sciences
  • Computer science
  • Earth sciences
  • Fine arts
  • Math
  • Physics
  • Psychology
  • Social work
  • Sociology