Authors: Travis Todd

The CSU softball season continued to go in the wrong direction over the break.

The Rams (6-26) spent 10 days in Clearwater, Fla., playing in two tournaments during that span. CSU began play in the USF Under Armour Showcase by being shutout in consecutive games to Central Michigan and Maryland.

The team then fell to both Massachusetts and Connecticut in a double-header on March 12. In total, the Rams were outscored 38-5 in the first four games of the tournament.

The Rams, however, would end the tournament on a high note with a 3-1 win over Long Island on the final day of the tournament. This ended a four-game skid and left the Rams with a 5-19 mark on the season.

In the win CSU got a solid pitching performance from freshman starter Alexa Cash, who earned her first win of the season. Offensively, Kelli Groy played an important role for the Rams in her first start of the season, going 1-for-1 with two RBI on a sacrifice fly in the second inning and a single up the middle in the fourth.

In the middle of the week the Rams left tournament play temporarily by playing a double-header against Boston University. They fell in both games by scores of 11-7 and 9-0. In the first game, CSU held a 7-3 lead through three innings before giving up four runs in the top of the fourth inning and another four in the top of the seventh.

Despite the loss, Emily Pohl hit her team-leading ninth home run and Lyssa Roberts went 2-for-4 with two RBI’s and two runs scored. CSU only managed three hits in the second matchup with Caitlan Stem going 2-for-2 and Morghan Doughty managing the teams only other hit.

Two days later CSU faced No. 21 Texas Tech and lost by a score of 17-5. The result pushed the Red Raiders record to 30-1.

The Rams wrapped up the week in the USF The Game Tournament on Friday, opening the tournament with yet another loss, this time a 9-1 defeat to Chattanooga.

The Rams earned their second victory of the week with a 2-1 triumph over Jacksonville. CSU welcomed back pitcher Kelli Eubanks, an all-conference performer last year who made her first start of the season.

Eubanks missed the first month and a half of the season with an injury and started her 2011 campaign with a gem in the circle. She pitched four scoreless innings, striking out four and holding the opposition hitless.

The Rams continued tournament play on Saturday by dropping games to No. 22 Texas A&M, 10-1, and South Florida, 8-2. CSU finished off the 10-day trip to Florida with a 10-0 defeat on Sunday at the hands of Florida Atlantic.

The team has the week off before returning to action this Saturday at Northern Colorado.

Softball Beat Reporter Travis Todd can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

*OVER THE BREAK*
Overall Record: 6-26
Spring Break Record: 2-11
USF Under Armour Showcase/USF The Game Tournament
Clearwater, Fla.
Next Up: @ Northern Colorado, Saturday, 1 p.m.