Authors: Andrew Carrera

A memorial service for CSU student Eric Spry will take place at 5:30 p.m. on March 18 at the Eagle’s Nest in Vail Mountain. The outdoor gathering is accessible through a free gondola at the base of the mountain.

Spry died at Poudre Valley Hospital on Feb. 4 after being rushed by ambulance from his dorm room in Braiden Hall. Larimer County Deputy Coroner James MacNaughton said the likely cause of death was pneumonia, a strain that was highly unlikely to be contagious, according to CSU’s Executive
Director of Housing and Dining Services Jim Dolak.

A vigil was held on Feb. 7, where upward of 350 CSU students, faculty and staff, parents and family watched a slideshow of his life, remembering all the times they witnessed in-person what they called his contagious smile, his sincere friendship and his passion for people.

John O’Neill, a CSU junior journalism major who knew him since their days on the Battle Mountain High School cross-country team in Edwards, described him as a diligent athlete who focused on his studies and helping others.

“You could say he was a runner; you could say he was big into his services: you could say he was a great student,” he said. “But no words will ever give justice to how great of moral character he had. That’s what he had. He had integrity, he had character, he had sincerity and he was incredible.”

Senior Reporter Andrew Carrera can be reached at news@collegian.com.