Authors: Andrew Schaller

The CSU men’s lacrosse team is gearing up for a big week of road games without Flip Naumburg, their assistant coach and founder of the lacrosse program.
Naumburg was admitted into a hospital on Saturday morning with pneumonia.

Playing with heavy hearts, the Rams (5-1) defeated Division-III Colorado College, 9-8, on Saturday afternoon and will look to ride that momentum into two road games next week.

After the win, CSU coach Alex Smith was thinking of his friend and colleague.

“Our thoughts were with Flip all day, and I know he would have been proud to see the way we took control of this game in the latter stages,” Smith said. “Flip means so much to our program, and it was weird being on the sidelines of his alma mater without him there.  We obviously wish him the speediest recovery.”

Naumburg is currently in the short-term intensive care unit, and by all accounts is getting better by the day.
The Rams will likely be without their assistant coach on the sidelines next week when they travel to the Pacific Northwest to battle several non-conference foes.

The action will start north of the border on Saturday when Simon Fraser University (2-3) from Vancouver plays host to the Rams. CSU will be looking for revenge, as Simon Fraser eliminated them in the quarterfinals of the Men’s Collegiate Lacrosse Association championships (MCLA) last year.

“They definitely left a sore spot last year,” sophomore midfielder Alex Devlin said. “We have a little unfinished business.”

The No. 4 Rams are also out to prove that they belong at the top of the MCLA’s rankings after narrowly escaping defeat at the hands of Colorado College, thanks to a fourth quarter comeback. Simon Fraser is looking to add a win over a top-5 team to their resume after a slow start to their season.

CSU will return to the U.S. on Tuesday when they travel to Seattle, Wash. to take on the University of Washington at Husky Stadium. The Huskies and Rams will be eager to add wins over non-conference opponents before divisional play begins in mid-April.

Club Sports Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

On the road

• Opponents: Simon Frasier University, University of Washington
  • Where: Vancouver, Seattle
  • When: Saturday, 7 p.m., March 15, 7 p.m.**