Authors: Ian Hopkins

“Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds” is a metaphor for the heyday of arcades.

It has everything loud and obnoxious sounds, excessively flashy graphics and straightforward game play and is obscenely difficult. Before you start the game, there is even an adorable seizure warning. Thank God it doesn’t cost a dollar to play like true arcade games; if it did, it would win worst game of the year already because it is a miserable experience.

Just so everybody is aware, “Marvel vs. Capcom 3” digs through the years of Marvel Comics and Capcom videogames for brawlers to take into various locales for three-on-three death matches. The roster of fighters is so diverse I only recognized about 15 percent of the combatants.

I felt like one of the 100 monkeys trying to pen Shakespeare because my rented game didn’t come with an instruction manual. It wouldn’t have been so bad if the in-game instructions actually explained the basics of “Marvel vs. Capcom 3.”

Instead, the game assumes everyone that picks up a controller has clearly played a minimum of 5000 hours of various fighting video games. For example, it took me almost an hour and a half to discover the magical method to swap my fighters in and out of battle. The controls were made even more difficult because the pace of the game is about as fast as the cars I was racing last week in “Need for Speed.”

I’m sure the game play would be more fun if it wasn’t so incomprehensible. After about 20 minutes I decided randomly pushing buttons would be more effective than actually trying to fight.

And who knew? I was beating everybody up just flailing my fingers around the controller trying to let God will me to victory. However, I probably would have won just as many fights blindfolded –– no offense God.

I wish I could’ve understood what was happening because “Marvel vs. Capcom 3” looks and sounds incredibly beautiful.

The cel-shaded style is a perfect fit for the game because comic book characters and video game characters are battling across the world –– a story straight out of a comic book. All of the different attacks look like gorgeous hand drawings straight from comic books too. This looks and sounds exactly like an interactive comic book.

“Marvel vs. Capcom 3” looks better than a comic movie or book because the visuals and sounds flow together like two rivers; otherwise, it would be a chaotic mess. Steer clear unless you live for fighting video games.

Video game reviewer Ian Hopkins can be reached at verve@collegian.com.