Authors: David de Besche

The CSU women’s basketball team looks to finish the season on a high note at Moby Arena Saturday.

The Rams (13-15, 6-9) host the San Diego State University Aztecs (12-15, 6-9) to wrap up the regular season before the Mountain West Conference
tournament next week.

CSU is coming off a last-minute 61-59 loss to Utah on Wednesday, where it lost the lead in the final seconds. The loss knocked the Rams down to fifth place in the conference.

“It was a heartbreaking end,” junior Kim Mestdagh said.

A fourth place seed for the tournament is not entirely out of the picture as of yet.

The Rams will need a win Saturday and a loss by Utah to get back in the mix. Getting the fourth place slot is vital going into the tournament, which would make sure the team will not have to face one of the top three squads in the first round.

Offensively, CSU will look to stick to its game plan against the Aztecs, something it didn’t do against Utah, only scoring 26 points in the first half.

“(Utah) pushed us out of what we wanted to do,” CSU coach Kristen Holt said.
Defensively, the Rams will get back to having a physical presence against SDSU, something they were lacking as they let two Utah players put up 22 and 17 points.

“We were not solid defensively, and that is something we need to fix,” Holt said.

There were some good things the Rams will take away from the loss to Utah into Saturday’s game. CSU recorded a season-low seven turnovers, which will be a factor both offensively and defensively against a scrappy Aztec team.

“We’ll take the positives and bring them to Saturday,” Mestdagh said.

SDSU is also looking for a much-needed win going into the tournament. The Aztecs are coming off a loss to Wyoming 63-50 on Wednesday.
The Rams will look to finish a season sweep over the Aztecs tomorrow. CSU beat SDSU just over a month ago 56-51 at Viejas Arena.

Saturday’s game will be the last home game of the regular season, where the team will honor its three seniors Bonnie Barbee, Sara Hemmings and Zoi Simmons.

With a dominating 9-5 record in Fort Collins, the team expects to be ready to play at home and send its seniors out on the right note.
Tip off for Senior Day is set for 1 p.m.

“It is our senior night. We’ll be ready,” Barbee said.

Women’s basketball Beat Reporter David de Besche can be reached at sports@collegian.com.