Authors: Courtney Riley

Tuesday night’s showing of “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas” was a fictional portrayal of two young Jewish and German boys who befriended each other during the Holocaust.

But tonight, associate professors of German at the University of Tennessee Daniel Magilow will be discussing the real effects on the children of the Holocaust.

Magilow will be giving his talk “Children and the Afterlife of the Holocaust” in honor of CSU’s 15th annual celebration of Holocaust and Genocide Awareness Week put on by Students for Holocaust and Genocide Awareness, today at 7 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Theater.

He will be telling the narratives of children, which will give people a different perspective of the Holocaust, said Rabbi Allison Peiser, the Hillel director on campus.

Magilow is an expert in Holocaust and German-Jewish studies and worked as the Pearl Resnick Postdoctoral Fellow at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. His research also focuses Weimar and Nazi Germany and the history of photography.

In 2008 he created an exhibition at the University of Tennessee titled after his book, ”In Her Father’s Eyes: A Slovak Childhood in the Shadow of the Holocaust,” that told the story of a young Czechoslovakian girl named Kitty through a diary her father kept of her during the 1930s and early 1940s. Neither Kitty nor her parents survived the Holocaust.

Peiser said the goal of the event, along with the showing of “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas” last night, is to evolve the understanding of Holocaust history.

She said she hopes the events will ignite questions, conversations and ideas from students.

“Our responsibility is to be aware, and it gives us the opportunity to empower ourselves to do something about other genocide that’s going on in the world,” Peiser said.

_Staff writer Courtney Riley can be reached at news@collegian.com. _

Who: Keynote speaker Daniel Magilow
What: “Children and the Afterlife of the Holocaust”
Where: Lory Student Center Theatre
When: Wednesday, March 2 at 7 p.m.
Put on by the Students for Holocaust and Genocide Awareness