Authors: Erin Udell

With spring break a mere two weeks away, many students might be wondering how they plan to spend this much-needed vacation.

And while some will end up lounging in their parents’ basement, junior applied human sciences major Brooke Henderson will be roughing it on the streets of Washington, D.C. — voluntarily homeless.

Henderson, who will participate in a 48-hour student homeless challenge and volunteer at the nation’s largest transitional homeless shelter, is one of nearly 200 students participating in an alternative spring break put on by the Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement office at CSU.

The participants will be part of 17 groups sent across the country on service-based trips over the course of spring break.

Washington, D.C.:
o 12 student participants
What will they be doing?
o Volunteering at the Community for Creative Non-Violence, which serves Washington D.C.’s homeless population.
o Participating in a 48-hour homeless challenge project

“The homeless population is really invisible, but it’s so real,” said co-site leader Regan Brown. “It’s something that could happen to me tomorrow, and I really wanted to open myself up to the issue.”

Pine Ridge Reservation, South Dakota:
o 11 student participants
o 1 participant from the Trees, Water and People organization
What will they do?
o Participants will work on environmental sustainability, renewable energy and the cross-cultural connections with the Lakota tribe.
o They will also work on solar panel installation at the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center

“The trip pertained to my professional goals as well as the idea that people from different backgrounds can help each other,” said Christine King, the trips co-site leader.

Kanab, Utah:
o 10 student participants
What will they be doing?
o Participants will be volunteering at the Best Friends Animal Society, the country’s largest no-kill animal sanctuary.
o They will walk dogs, care for the animals and assist with agency mailings.

Senior Reporter Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Alternative breaks across the world
Where will your fellow rams be this spring break?

In the U.S.: Arizona, California, Florida, Louisiana, New York, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and Washington D.C.

International: Panama