Authors: Andrew Carrera

Editor’s note: Michael Schofield’s last name was incorrectly spelled Shofield.

Imagine a rolling frat house.

“You take a bunch of young kids, some of them with quite a bit of money, and you put them together for five to six months out of the year,” said Michael Schofield, a 24-year-old 2009 CSU alum.

But this isn’t Greek life. It’s the life of a minor league baseball strength and conditioning coach keeping a large group of 18-to-24-year-olds in their athletic prime for high-pressure back-to-back games.

“Yeah, it’s definitely an interesting atmosphere, and it’s a blast,” he said.

Schofield has been working for the Southbend Silverhawks––a Single A minor league baseball team in Southbend, Indiana that reports to the Arizona Diamondbacks––since December of 2010.

Equipped with a health and exercise science major and internship experience with a training center called Athlete’s Performance in Los Angeles, the connections he made landed him seven one-hour interviews with Diamondback training managers who drilled him with anatomy and philosophy questions.

“I thought I bombed it. I really thought I bombed it … “Schofield said. “I was so nervous after the first one ended because I knew I had more coming, and so I bought these anatomy flashcards that I kept studying and had them all spread out so when they called I’d be ready.”

His answers carried him to an extended interview in Tuscon, Arizona for three weeks, where he was told afterward that all the strength and conditioning trainer spots were filled. In hopes of being hired for next season, he read anatomy books and studied massage therapy –– moves he said led to his eventual hiring.

The seven-month season takes him around the country to places like Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana with nothing but a duffel bag to cart around his existence. There are ups and downs to being so mobile, he says, but being on the go far outweighs its counterpart existence: life in a cubicle.

“We’ll play a game, get in the bus that night, drive through the night 10 hours, get in at 6 in the morning, wake up in a few hours and do it all over again,” he said. “It is a grind.”

But Schofield wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I wanted to work with the elite of the elite — guys that I don’t need to coach them along and be the cheerleader,” he said. “They’re there for a reason. It’s their job, and I wanted to do my job to get them where they need to be.”

Senior Reporter Andrew Carrera can be reached at news@collegian.com.