Authors: Ryan Gibbons and Glen Pfeiffer

We’re comin’ to you specially on a not-Thursday! Yep, the Binary Boys are stepping out of their cushy Thursday time slot to help you with the dilemma you will invariably face in 10 days –– what should I do over break?

Right now you’re really excited for break to be here. This present excitement will blind you to the fact that you don’t have any plans, and it’ll slap you in the face next Friday like a stray Pike Place salmon.

When you wake up bored at 4 p.m. the first Saturday of break, try your hand at one of these:

Go Geocaching

Spring Break is a great time to go outside and enjoy copious amounts of nature, but it can be a stressful time for us pasty nerds. Rather than going cold turkey and wandering into the woods for a three-night backpacking excursion with nothing more than a fanny pack, try easing yourself into those hiking boots with this awesome outdoor hobby.

Geocaching, which has been around for more than 10 years, is “a worldwide high-tech scavenger hunt.” Basically someone hides a small container, the “cache,” and then they post the GPS coordinates to www.geocaching.com for the world to access.

Using a GPS device (there’s an app for you iPhone and Android users) you then hunt down the location, usually within one to 20 feet and start searching the area. When you find it, you sign the log and move on to the next. There are hundreds in Fort Collins alone and some of them bring you to some pretty cool places you never even knew existed.

Become a Brewmaster

We don’t know about you, but when we mix together a super tasty margarita or mixed drink we feel like a boss. Imagine if you could offer your houseguests your own home brewed beer –– suddenly you’ve gone from boss to deity.

Yes, you could sign up for CSU’s Brewing Science and Technology, but that has annoying prerequisites like, math, organic chemistry and of course you have to be 21 years young.

The Internet has more than enough information to get you up to speed, so try www.howtobrew.com or Google it. On the “college budget” you can throw a brew kit together for about $50 bucks, and let’s be honest, that equates to less than two weeks’ bar tabs.

While the brewing only takes a few hours, the beer will take at least two weeks to ferment, so you wont be drinking your libation until sometime in April.

Show Your Computer Some Love

Your computer undoubtedly works hard for you all semester long, so don’t turn a blind eye to its maintenance needs. Take some of your free time over break to backup your files, delete old and unnecessary files and free up space on the thumb drive that’s full of junk you needed to print months ago.

You’ll feel superior to the students around you when your hard drive gives out in April, and instead of raging against how terrible technology makes your life, you’ll breathe a sigh of relief. Your stuff will be safe.

Columnists Ryan Gibbons and Glen Pfeiffer didn’t add “attend a Justin Bieber concert” because we thought that might already be on your list. Send electronic mail to verve@collegian.com.