Authors: Nick Childs

The CSU softball team dropped four out of five games this weekend at the Stanford Nike Invitational in Palo Alto, Calif.

Despite another flat tournament performance, the team is continuing to improve on a day-to-day basis, which is exactly what the Rams’ coaching staff is looking for from a team that features 10 freshmen.

According to head coach Jen Fisher, the Rams have shown an ability to stay positive, and it’s obvious that they all care about each other.

“We are all together as one,” said freshman catcher Emily Pohl.
The Rams carried a six-game losing streak into the invitational, which was extended in their first game against No. 24 Kentucky on Friday.

The Wildcats cruised to an easy 7-0 victory behind a no-hitter by junior Chandra Bell. The only baserunner for CSU came from senior outfielder Ivory Allen when she walked in the 6th inning.

CSU’s luck changed in the second game on Friday against the UC-Davis Aggies.

The Rams jumped out to an early four-run lead in the first inning and never looked back. They went on to win by a final score of 11-6.

Freshman third baseman Chelsea Biglow led the Rams with two hits at the plate including a double and home run, along with five RBI.

Saturday didn’t bring as much success for CSU; they lost both of their games—the first to North Dakota State by a score of 11-3.

Tournament host Stanford University then defeated the Rams, 16-2. The Cardinal are currently ranked 16th in the nation.

Sunday, the Rams took on the University of Memphis and took a two-run lead into the seventh inning.

The Tigers scratched out two runs in the seventh to send the game into extra innings, where they managed to win the game 4-3 in the extra frame.

The offensive star for the Rams on Sunday was Pohl, who hit two solo home runs.

“I wanted to be aggressive and do whatever I could to help the team,” Pohl said.

Biglow and Pohl, Fisher said, are getting important playing time as freshmen.

“It was good to see that sort of production out of them and I think you will see more good things in the future,” Fisher said.

The Rams are hosting the Colorado State Classic this weekend and will have their homeopener on Friday against Northern Illinois at 1:30 p.m.

“It will be awesome to finally be at home,” Biglow said.

Softball Beat Reporter Nick Childs can be reached at sports@collegian.com.